Halcyon entering SM market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In all fairness I did get some insight into this rig this morning. I was told that it is constructed like a brick house with very good tough materials and is more or less expedition grade. Meaning it will take a lot of punishment and come through just fine. And that it dives nice. This was from my source.

Unfortunately for someone like me the punishment to my wallet would kind of offset that and the fact that I have zero desire to start squeezing through stuff where I'd need that kind of attribute. There are less expensive ways to get into SM and more coming in the near future. :wink:

The thought is probably, if you are diving somewhere where you need to be in SM rather than the preferred BM doubles then you are really going to be needing the toughness. And those should be the only places you should be using SM over BM.

Talk is there will be smaller wings as well.

That may be their reasoning but what about those who just don't want to dive backmount for whatever reason? But again it is not for that market seemingly. I'm getting into SM simply because I don't want to lug heavy steels on my back anymore and my knees are pretty happy about it as well. Everything has a place and people who want it for their own reasons. There is no right way for everyone. This rig will be the right choice for those who see it as that. For others it will be the wrong choice.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I dont know much about sidemount but it looks good to me.
it's spendy but not far off some of the other sidemount rigs MSRP from what I can tell.

pretty squared away sidemount divers had input on this thing

I dont know much about sidemount but it looks good to me.
it's spendy but not far off some of the other sidemount rigs MSRP from what I can tell.

There's definately some element of "H-Tax" involved, IMHO. It's the most costly rig on the market (unless you count the manifolded version of the Z-Trim).

pretty squared away sidemount divers had input on this thing

I read Brian Kakuk's review of the system. General consensus apparent from side-mounter discussions on FB groups is that Sorenson's SMS100 modifications still provide a better platform. That said, nobody has yet offered a modification for the Contour :wink:

As your considerable experience told you? Or regurgitating the latest issue of Quest? :wink:

My interpretation from the article, general GUE policy (taken fundies recently) and general forum browsing.

Long term I am interested in getting in some tight spaces where this may be appropriate, so keeping an eye on the developments. For now though, I am young, reasonably fit and not doing diving anywhere near what would require SM or even really BM doubles so that is it, just keeping an eye on it and following the discussions.

It's important to remember that Halcyon and GUE are two different companies, despite their shared ownership. Sidemount is not a fad; it's clearly here to stay, and Halcyon would be remiss to ignore that market. In addition, as JJ's recent article acknowledges, GUE is grappling with the fact that there is definitely SOME diving out there that is not best done with backmounted doubles, and this is an opportunity to create a sidemount setup that's what the folks doing the sidemountish sort of dives LIKE for themselves.

Looks like a pretty well-thought-out setup, and not that far off the mark with some of the other boutique sidemount arrangements.

My interpretation from the article, general GUE policy (taken fundies recently) and general forum browsing.

Long term I am interested in getting in some tight spaces where this may be appropriate, so keeping an eye on the developments. For now though, I am young, reasonably fit and not doing diving anywhere near what would require SM or even really BM doubles so that is it, just keeping an eye on it and following the discussions.

Just a suggestion, but taking sidemount advice from an agency that (self-admittedly) doesn't encompass, teach, or fully understand, the practice of sidemount diving may not be the best way to gain an understanding of the subject.

Jarrod's article was dealing with the incorporation of sidemount into the GUE philosophy and system; in which there are numerous issues regards global standardization and the necessity to format universal protocols. Thus, the limited application of sidemount in the evolving GUE vision is tempered by 'external' factors beyond just how, when and where to use sidemount... "How should GUE use sidemount?" is a very different question to "How should a diver use sidemount?".

The way I read Jarrod's text was that sidemount might be used in limited scope of diving (confined spaces/push-throughs) by an entirely sidemount equipped, standardized GUE team. In all other respects, back-mount (standard DIR/Hogarthian) remains the 'weapon of choice'. The same rationale looked applicable to CCR (high gas/helium consumption dives only) - the biggest delay being selection of a single suitable unit (that wouldn't be superseded in the near future).

I thought that was a better "DIR" solution than UTD's.... basically, GUE wouldn't/doesn't have to deal with the mixed-team conundrum. All sidemount (applying whatever principles/protocols GUE decides) for specific missions, otherwise all back-mount as normal...

Sidemount, when not having to be dovetailed into an existing formal philosophical methodology, is quite universal and is proving exceptional popular as such....

Looks like it has many of the problems Lamar just redesigned to fix on his latest Nomad & lite versions.

I'll pass on the H, they missed the opportunity IMO. The cheap seats and internet fan-boys are going with the razor, and the people who need it likely already have the Nomad or LT versions. Hell, if I just want a tank on the side for fun nothing beats Monkey diving.

The thought is probably, if you are diving somewhere where you need to be in SM rather than the preferred BM doubles then you are really going to be needing the toughness. And those should be the only places you should be using SM over BM.

Talk is there will be smaller wings as well.

Interesting comment. Both are tools that have their place. Backmount is better in some situations,plus you are streamlined better. The one thing that is good to see GUE/DIR enter the sidemount market,is they may finally be more well rounded with all full set of tools to choose from to handle all conditions. For example,I've seen GUE/DIR divers enter small cave systems using the philosophy of using backmount and stages,and bottom line,this is tears up the caves. This is not a slam at GUE/DIR,their system has a good track record,but honestly doesn't work in all conditions. If GUE enters the sidemount training arena,you may see an upgrade in teaching. Perhaps the days of an instructor buying a sidemount rig,and spending a weekend with a course director,then teaching the next weekend,with nil experiene,will end.

Back
Top Bottom