Halcyon dual bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPhantomas

Reaction score
So.....I've been checking and reading a lot about top tek BCs, BPs, etc....

I checked OMS, TPII, Halcyon, ScubaPro.....

I'm quite convinced Halcyon is the choice I want. Almost all the others have dual bladders as options for the biggest wings, and I cannot find anything like this in Halcyon.

So, how they do those 100m dives? Is that secure at all?
I thought having dual blades was a strict requisite for advanced trimix courses....

I fear this is a troll but I'll respond anyway...

If your rig is balanced you do not need convoluted (just love that word :wink:) double bag, 1000lb lift wings. You should never be so overweighted that you have to rely on your bc to keep you up. Your wing should only need enough gas in it to equal the weight of the gas you are carrying no more.

Balanced rig=

1. Able to swim up from the bottom with FULL tanks and NO air in wing

2. Able to stay at 20ft with NO air in wing and 500psi or less in tanks.

Double bladder wings add solutions to problems that shouldn't be there in the 1st place (ie overweighting!) that is why you'll never see a Halcyon double bladder wing.

Double wings are totally unnecessary.

Mike

C O N V U L A T I O N -- I like that word too :D.

are we talking about the same? may be I'm not using the right terminology.

I refer to the double inflator, like having a redundant air bag for backup inside the wing

Yeah, dual bladders are totally unneeded if you're weighted/configured correctly. All you need is one bladder and one inflator.

Mike

Thank you for clearifing it to me. I just thought it was a requirement for some advanced courses

and...still.....I thought it was considered for backup, not for full inflation,,,,

Isn't that the reasson, like being 300ft under water, and the bladder goes wrong, so you have the backup one

Again, it's a matter of proper weighting. Ultimately, you should be able to swim up full tanks from depth without any air in your BC. For drysuit divers, the suit can be used for lift. On top of that, most divers carry a lift bag which can be used for lift (in a really bad fix). Finally, a good buddy who has all the above will get you up. So, between being properly weighted, having a drysuit, lift bag, and competant buddy, the world would have to end for you not to get up. There is no reason to spend the bucks on a gimmicky dual bladder BC.

Mike

Thank you Mike.

So, from what you say, we could dive with doubles just using a minimal small wing? Why are the wings for doubles bigger than the single ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom