Halcyon Divers Life Raft used as a lift bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockhound13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if the inflator mechanism on this device poses a safety issue. If not using the oral inflator, inflating the raft to use as a lift bag requires you to connect a low pressure inflator hose and inflate it that way. My immediate thought was a runaway inflation and your connected to the device, I was wondering what the DIR community thought?

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml

I'm not sure about the life raft, but on my Halcyon smb with the low pressure inflater mechanism, it cannot physically connect you to your low pressure line. It will pressurize but there's no locking mechanism so you don't get stuck to it.
With that being said, I'm not sure using the diver's lift raft for a lift bag would be my first choice. I'd probably use an actual lift bag, as the lift raft is just that--it's made so that if your dive boat leaves you, you can inflate it and hop out of the water.

Not as a primary, but I like versatility, and it states on the website that it can be done, thats why I posted, just because it can, does that mean it should?

rockhound13:
Not as a primary, but I like versatility, and it states on the website that it can be done, thats why I posted, just because it can, does that mean it should?

Can does not equal should, but's besides the point.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between a closed circuit lift bag and a raft. The shape is a little different, the function should be close to identicle. I do believe the lp hose nipple is a non latching type on the raft also, but why not check with Halcyon or EE, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you.

Tobin

I sent Halcyon an e-mail, I'll post the answer when I get it. Thanks.

Anybody know anybody that carries one of these?

The non-locking type.

rockhound13:
I sent Halcyon an e-mail, I'll post the answer when I get it. Thanks.

Anybody know anybody that carries one of these?

RockHound,

One thing I might suggest, if you are new to liftbags, that before you purchase any bag try a couple different styles.

Open, semi closed, closed circuit.

My preference is the semi closed. I prefer to fill larger inflatables using my 2nd stage, and the open bags can flop over and loose their gas. The semi closed bags fill the same way, but self seal at the bottom. The closed circuit bags require disconnecting a hose, Dry Suit usually.

You may find you prefer something else.

Tobin

The life raft thing is huge and bulky making it hard to stow. I have a suft shuttle and its already awkward enough.

Unless you have a real need for the liferaft concept, I would not get it just to have the biggest "most versatile" bag for any possible situation.

I have a 1m SMB, a 2m SMB and the surfshuttle, sometimes bringing none, one or 2 of them depending on the dive.

I have a semi closed now, and definitely need to get more practice. I was more or less intruiged by carrying a boat on your person and was looking for some input on what the DIR divers thought. I read alot of the posts and the actual answers, not the thread hijacking, always reflect safety and thought it was a good place to start. I do like versatility and anything I can carry that can do two things safely I view as a benefit. Thanks for the advice, information is always good. Another question, when diving a long hose configuration, I assume that a 2nd stage regulator switch is required to fill an open or semi closed device?

Thanks again,
Cliff

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom