Halcyon BP/W Information Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're getting it used, I wouldn't get an Eclipse -- and I own one. I think they're way overpriced for what they are.

You can get a fantastic setup from DeepSeaSupply for much less -- and you can call the owner personally on the phone, talk about your diving needs, and work out a good solution just for you. What other companies can say that? :)

...are there some wings that are better suited to single tank/pony bottles than others?

No idea.

My original point was that the Eclipse's shape was designed to wrap around a single tank, not a tank with another small tank attached to one side. It'll probably work with the single tank/pony setup but just won't be optimal. That's all.

Or, is the only recommended way to carry a pony with a single tank to sling it? I really don't want to do that. I understand slinging a 30 or 40 cf bottle of different gas, but I will use the pony as a bail out bottle, not a deco bottle.

Honestly (and I mean no disrespect, btw) I would recommend good gas planning/management and diving with a buddy (or two) rather than a pony bottle. If you want true redundancy, dive doubles.

Why do you say this, and what would be different about a wing "designed for a single tank with pony attached?"

Well, the Eclipse's shape was designed to wrap around a single tank, not a tank with another small tank attached to one side. Like I said before, it'll probably work with the single tank/pony setup but just won't be optimal.

No idea what "a wing designed for a single tank with pony attached" would be shaped like...

I like the idea of the "donut" versus the "horseshoe" since I need more lift lower (with a single)

Donut wings do not automatically provide lift at the divers hips.

To provide any lift a wing needs to have gas in. The "lower arc" of a donut wing passes underneath the lower end of the tank.

For a horizontally trimmed diver, the lower arc of a donut wing will be the very last part of the wing to fill with gas, as the lower arc is the absolutely lowest section of the wing.

If you view any wing in "plan view", deflated, you can tell where the lift will be distributed.

The widest part of the wing will fill with gas first, as widest = highest as the wing wraps the cylinder. Funny thing about gas in a wing, it always goes the highest point.

It is quite possible to design donut wings with lift at the hips, or at the shoulders or neutral, it's all function of shape.

Tobin

Definitely a good idea to go to a back inflate, however, I would not necessarily reccomend the Halcyon Eclipse. Instead, take a look at the Agir Brokk wing and backplate. In my view they are much more durable and exactly the same price.

Tobin,

Thanks for that insight. I guess that is why some wings are "V-Shaped" instead of "U-Shaped".

Do you have any comment on the pony bottle/wing style question? I know some don't like pony bottles. But, I'm finding myself diving with a buddy in the same ocean/lake too often. I know ideally I'd have a buddy within a breath's grasp, but I am finding due to "insta-buddies", poor visibility, and other circumstances, that isn't always the case. I suppose my risk mitigation could be not to dive without a perfect buddy in ideal situations, but I don't think I'd get much diving done. So, another way to mitigate risk (not extend bottom time or eliminate good gas planning/management) I choose to dive with a pony.

I surprised I haven't been attacked yet, wearing split fins with a Halcyon backplate!!!! OMG!!

You are not alone my friend. I dive a 30# Eclipse, split fins, and a hoseless AI computer...

Tobin,

Thanks for that insight. I guess that is why some wings are "V-Shaped" instead of "U-Shaped".

Do you have any comment on the pony bottle/wing style question?

Yes I have some comments on ponies, and you probably won't like them.

Any number of rationalizations can be made to justify a pony, but the real answer is better teammates.

Newer divers have natural tendency to distrust buddies, and trust gear. Why? Because they have all had buddies flake out and most have never had an equipment failure.

It requires a change in mindset to truly understand that your backup gas is on your buddy's back.

Tobin

Yes I have some comments on ponies, and you probably won't like them.
Tobin

You were right. But not because of your philosophy on the subject, but because you really didn't answer my question regarding if any wings are set up for pony bottles, or any are set up better than others for pony bottles.

You were right. But not because of your philosophy on the subject, but because you really didn't answer my question regarding if any wings are set up for pony bottles, or any are set up better than others for pony bottles.

Strapping a "pony" along side a single tank creates any number of problems.

Aside from the obvious entanglement and valve access issues, the imbalance, non symmetrical drag, and impacts on wing inflations are all concerns.

If I carry a bottle I sling it. Doing so does not require a special wing.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom