Halcyon Back Plate w/ Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan once bubbled...

Actually I think it would make it easier.

Without the STA, the tank is very close to your back. Move it away from your back by about half an inch and the tank can sit significantly higher on your back without it hitting your head in the water. Reaching a bit farther back seens easier than a bit farther down in my recent desk chair research.

What he said.

I can hit the valve without a STA. However, we've noticed that students can hit the valve easier when it has a STA. Moreover, they seem to prefer the more positive alignment of the tank.

I've tried it and it is easier.

How do you determin which Wing, the Pioneer 27 or 38 is the right one for a guy who is 6'2" 200lbs dives with Aluminum 80s?

Sapper once bubbled...
How do you determin which Wing, the Pioneer 27 or 38 is the right one for a guy who is 6'2" 200lbs dives with Aluminum 80s?

Well, Im 5'8" 215lbs and Use the #27. It is definetly enough lift for me.

Sapper once bubbled...

You want to make sure your wing has enough lift to float your rig if you take it off. Figure how much weight you carry in the coldest conditions i.e. thickest wetsuit. If that starts getting close to 27 you should go with the 36. If you are a warm water diver only, the 27 will probably be plenty.

James

to count the negative buoyancy of the BP+STA system in the "how much weight do you carry" computation, along with the MAXIMUM negative buoyancy of the tank(s) (full of gas.)

For example, I dive a SS BP + STA (-8), and use 2lbs of lead with a single HP steel (-1 empty.) This is with a 3 mil wetsuit and fairly heavy (5 mil) booties. This makes me neutral with an empty tank at the surface.

FULL, that tank is -7.5 (assuming a HP120.) So my minimum lift requirement is 17.5lbs. I must assume that at depth my exposure suit may have zero buoyancy (it won't, but you won't go wrong that way!)

Now if I try to dive dry, I use the same SS BP+STA, same tank, but now I need 16lbs of lead. Virtually all of that is required due to the suit. So now I need 31.5lbs of lift at a minimum. The 36lb pioneer is ok - but just barely. This assumes that I flood the drysuit at depth and it has zero buoyancy.

The Halcyon wings larger than 27lbs have expanding panels at the BOTTOM, which affects some divers (myself included) trim adversely. The Oxycheq wings do not have these panels; I have found no trim difference between their 30 and 45lb lift wings, making the 45 fantastic for me as I can dive it both dry and wet.

Genesis once bubbled...
to count the negative buoyancy of the BP+STA system in the "how much weight do you carry" computation, along with the MAXIMUM negative buoyancy of the tank(s) (full of gas.)

Thanks for makeing that more clear. I was assuming he is currently in a stab jacket so using his current weight should cover the BP/STA and probably a few extra pounds. I should definatly have mentioned the tank weight though.

James

Genesis once bubbled...

The Halcyon wings larger than 27lbs have expanding panels at the BOTTOM, which affects some divers (myself included) trim adversely. The Oxycheq wings do not have these panels; I have found no trim difference between their 30 and 45lb lift wings, making the 45 fantastic for me as I can dive it both dry and wet.

It is the 36# pinoneer that has the gussets (panels) not the 27#.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the oxycheq wing have the same sort of gusset design? The difference being that they expand beside the tank on the inside of the wing as opposed to the outside?

bridgediver once bubbled...

It is the 36# pinoneer that has the gussets (panels) not the 27#.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the oxycheq wing have the same sort of gusset design? The difference being that they expand beside the tank on the inside of the wing as opposed to the outside?

The 45 lb Oxycheq wing has the gusset all along the inside next to the tank. The idea is that when inflated, the Halcyon wing gets bigger at the bottom than normal, whereas the Oxycheq gets bigger all around the center, thus affecting trim less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom