Hakuna Matata night dives at "Stars"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hakuna Matata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
First off a huge thanks to Gabe and company for making this night dive happen. We left the dock about 3:30 pm and settled in for a nice cruise up the leeward side. Light winds and the normal calm seas are always a welcome site. We set the plotter for a location called "Stars"

We all had high hopes about the night dive under the lights. Stars is a big carvern with over hangs, skylights, crags, nooks and crannies surrounded by walls exceeding thirty feet tall in places. Luck was on our side for sure as the mooring is on the north end of the cavern and with the downhill current and believe or not the wind flowing the same direction, the boat laid right over the cavern. We scoped back enough line to drift back behind the skylights which in our plan would allow the underwater lights to reflect through the dive site. It was an amazing dive and very comforting to most always be able to see where the boat was.

Here are a few pics that I took. I sure am not much of an underwater or above water photographer, sorry. The underwater lights are 150 watt metal halides and the lights on the boat tower are 400 watt halides.

Jack

All I have to say about this boat is WOW! The boat is great! Amazing. The cruise from Ko Olina was such a relaxing joy and the cabin made it feel so cozy. The lights! Before long we might even have our own Manata Dive on Oahu... hopefully... Big thanks to Capt and Roger who got us out there and led the dives along Stars. Thanks again guys!

Another interesting thing would be to dive the FAD bouys after burning the lights for a while. Lots of marine life on the FADS. Fishing and diving all in the same spot LOL Anybody have a problem diving while the water is being chummed ?

Jack

Aloha All
Our high hopes for the night dive were definately fulfilled. Truely one of my most enjoyable night dives in 37 years of diving. I hope we did not wake up too many turtles, but they were just everywhere.
Loads of fun
Aloha
Roger

I'm with Matt....

Michelle, Matt and I had a blast. Thanks so much to Captain Jack and Roger for a dive we won't soon forget. You want luxury? Book a trip on the Hakuna Matata. Now onto my trip report!

Private Westside Charter!

Aloha and many mahalos to Roger and Cap. Jack!

G

one of my most enjoyable night dives in 37 years of diving

....and one of these days I might even get to go along,,,

Nice report Gabe, glad you all had a good time!

Back
Top Bottom