Hairline cracks on DS-125 face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewK2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,
I've lately noticed that there are some very fine hairline cracks on the glass in front of my DS-125 strobe. I'm not sure how long they've been there, but I have noticed them after being in the water and they don't seem to be leaking or anything. It has never been dropped or mistreated, so I'm curious where they came from. I'm just wondering if this is a big concern since I'm going on a 5 day expedition in mid-April and I desperately need to have everything working, so I'm not sure what to do at this point.

thanks for your help
Andrew

Andrew,

The front element in the DS125 is made of acrylic. Hairline cracking can be caused as a reaction to spray lubricants, cleaning solutions, or other chemical agents.

Please send the strobe, along with a brief letter of explanation, and full contact information to:

Ikelite Underwater Systems
attn. Repair Dept.
50 W. 33rd St.,
Indpls., In 46208

Please include your name, complete return address, e-mail, phone number, and your stated problem or service request. Normal turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.

Regards,

Last edited:
Hi Brett, thanks for your quick reply - definitely appreciated. I guess it makes sense that it is acrylic, still odd though since I've never cleaned it or got anything on it except maybe the Ikelite lube, but even then it was only on the o-ring at the back:S
The problem is I'm already in Australia - is there a place here that can have a look at it and potentially repair it? I definitely plan to send it in soon, just not sure when since I'm so far.

This kind of cracking can also be caused by a reaction to the foam inserts in some types of suitcases and waterproof carrying cases.

Without seeing the strobe it's impossible to tell. If they seem like surface cracking (which we typically call "crazing") then I would say you can dive with your strobe for the trip and send it back when you return home.

If there are problems you may be able to obtain a loaner unit most quickly through Innovations Australia:

Innovations Australia
Phone: 61-7-40319266
Cairns, QLD
Fax #: 61-7-40319277
e-mail: info@underwatercameras.com.au
URL: Underwater Cameras - Underwater Photography Australia - Snap Sights, Camera Shield, Epoque

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Excellent, I was thinking I'd get a loaner unit which would solve my problem. In terms of the cracking, you're probably correct in that it's on the surface since it couldn't have just appeared after one dive. I do keep it stored in a Pelican case, so I think it narrows it down to the foam - is it a common issue? If so, is there something better to put in the case to pad it?

thanks

Unfortunately it's hard to pin down. We've seen a large variation in foams within the same brands... some cause a reaction and some don't. I wouldn't recommend storing equipment in a closed case or leaving the closed case in heat and humidity for a long period of time. I believe the problem may be prevented by putting your the strobe in a plastic bag inside of the case.

As far as other foams or support materials I hate to say without having tested them for possible reactions... T-shirts and clothes have always worked for me and reduce packing space!!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Ok, I'll definitely remember that and pack it with something around it - I guess leaving the diffuser on the front too would help since it would eliminate contact with the foam. I find it very odd that I've never heard of foam doing this before. Is the housing itself in the same case at risk too, or is that a different type of acrylic? Thanks for your help - definitely appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom