Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba65

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, this could go either way. I couldn't decide were to post it..so, here goes. After my trip to Bonaire in April my hair has been awful. it's rough and just nasty. I use conditioner all the time but it's still really rough and crappy. I don't know what else to use for it to make it better. before I would just use shampoo with conditioner and it was nice and soft...now it doesn't seem to get better and i have to keep using globs of conditioner to make it soft and manageable. any ideas girls? help please.

Hi, I have the worst hair imaginable. Really thick and kinky. I have found that my hair gets damaged too so what seems to work for me is what a woman diver told me a long time ago. I make up a mixture of Mane and Tail Conditioner ( yes it is made for horse manes but you can get it in the grocery store) and Biosilk Silk Therapy. Easiest way to mix it to buy one of those traveling bottles that you can put in with your dive gear. I use a little before I dive ( I put it on dry just on the ends. And then I put on my hood ) and when I wash my hair that night I put some on after I towel dry my hair. It seems to bring back the body. I hope this helps....

Oh, my i'm going to have to try that...i can take it anymore. just washing my hair in the mornings is a project. i can't even get my fingers through it and i have to use globs of conditioner. i'll try that thanks so much.

Sighhhhh ... to have hair again! :wink: Oh well, I guess I'll never have those problems.

Scuba65:
Ok, this could go either way. I couldn't decide were to post it..so, here goes. After my trip to Bonaire in April my hair has been awful. it's rough and just nasty. I use conditioner all the time but it's still really rough and crappy. I don't know what else to use for it to make it better. before I would just use shampoo with conditioner and it was nice and soft...now it doesn't seem to get better and i have to keep using globs of conditioner to make it soft and manageable. any ideas girls? help please.
A deep conditioning treatment should help. You can get it done at a salon, or do it yourself. For doing it yourself: There are a lot of good products... Fructis makes a nice hair mask. Whatever you use, gob a bunch of it on your hair and work it in (you should have a lot of excess on your hair), then wrap your head with a damp HOT towel and leave it on for 20 minutes. Should make a big difference.

You might also need a trim.

Let us know how it works out!

my last hair cutting dude had really really curly hair. mine's not as curly as his was but is really thick and can easily get fly-away and too fluffy and weird looking. his suggestion was to 'go shopping in the black girl aisle'. so i've been using some nice, thick leave-in conditioners for a few years now and love them. i shampoo & condition in the shower then put in the leave-in & shake my head hard and let it dry. way fewer fly-aways and better curls. another thing i used to do (and still do sometimes) is use a squirt of keri or baby oil mixed in with the rinse-out conditioner.

Woodives I use Fructis products and no i have seen that hair mask thingy. i'll have to look for it. it's just awful my hair i can't take it anymore. I can't even get my fingers through it when i shampoo it. i never had to use conditioner and now i can't get away without using it. it's a pain. thanks for all your help.

BabyDuck: I might also have to give that a whirl. it's just awful with my hair. i never had to use any conditioners and now i have too. i have thick/straight hair and it's just nasty now. thanks for all your tips ladies.

Ah, yeah, biosilk. that's great stuff.
I use Nexxus Humectress, it's fabulous for the post-dive-trip hay-head I usually get. The cool thing about it, too, is that you can leave it in without your hair getting all gunky. Really! Give it a try. It's a miracle.
Another great product I use when my hair is like straw is Redken Cat, it's a liquid protein supplement that seems to do wonders. I use it after getting highlights, and it works!

Man, you guy's are great and have given me so many tips..that i don't know what to try now..i guess i'll try each one and see which one works best. i'm heading to the store tonight after work to purchase them. i'll keep you posted on what works best for my crappy hair

Back
Top Bottom