Hair Care when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My stepdaughter gave me some advice for my "aging" hair today. I told her that I occasionally use coconut oil or moroccan oil to treat it and she asked me if I first clarified it to get all the product build up off of it (no, I don't). She said that most of the hair products we use have silicone in them and it builds up on the hair - once it's there the oil will not be able to penetrate it to get to the hair - so you have to use a good clarifying shampoo to get all the product build-up off first. This is going to be a process - shampoo with my clarifying shampoo - apply oil - wait a while for it to do its thing - wash with my regular shampoo and condition it. Hopefully it will be worth the effort - my stepdaughter hasn't steered me wrong yet! :)

I have trouble with my bangs getting in my dive mask. I wear a Henderson dive beanie just to keep the hair out of my face. It is very comfortable and fastens under my chin. The other thing to do is wear a "BUFF" and tie it like a skullcap. I especially love my buff for after the dive-- I wear it like a fat headband and it keeps my hair back and minimizes tangling... Happy diving!!!

The hair issue is one that has taken me many a trial and error over the past few years...I have really long, really thick hair that just sucks up the salt. Those wonderful dive holidays of three hour long dives a day over multiple days means that it used to end up one great big, scratchy dreadlock. Most shampoos and conditioners are just not up to the dive holiday task...Best advice:

1 if diving without a hood / cap - tie in braid or segmented pony tail - my pony tail is about 14 inches long and I have it in five elastic segments.
2 don't take it out between dives
3 if diving with a hood - try and brush it between dives if time allows as it makes untangling a bit easier (yes, even under 5 inches of neoprene it can tangle)
4 use really good hair product - salon conditioner that washes out - at the end of the night.
avoid leave in conditioners as no matter how natural they end up in teh ocean and worse, some can have chemicals that just end up in your mask and eyes.

Argan Oil before the dive, a braid or high bun, and a headscarf/sports headband or dive hood :)

I have just discovered the greatest thing since sliced bread to deal with my hair after a dive once it's a knotted mess. My hair dresser turned me on to a brush called a tangle teezer - you comb it through your hair and it removes knots quickly and painlessly on wet or dry hair. At first I didn't think it was working, but it takes the tangles out a small layer at a time and the next thing I knew- very little hair loss and all the knots out. Highly recommended!!! They make one called the aqua splash and it seems to be easier to hold in the shower and and when hands are wet.

Hi Ladies! Thought I was the only one with this problem. As a competitive swimmer, please don't throw your money away on lycra caps. They do NOTHING to keep water out of your hair (think of it this way, when you wear your lycra bathing suit, does your abdomen get wet? :)). Get a good latex cap, Speedo Arena, TYR, etc. Wet your hair and then pull the cap on from your forehead (hold it in place with one hand), then pull it back to the nape of your neck. Then tuck in your ponytail (or long hair in the base of neck, under the cap).

Latex is cheap ($2-$5) and less stretchy, and prone to tearing...best for short hair. Silicone lasts muuuuch longer and is much stretchier for those with longer hair. Yes, you may look like a conehead, but it helps you stay warmer, and you won't be crying topside when you are pulling your hair out. Plus, you can get them in fun colors, if you really want to be cute. Caps can be purchased at swimoutlet.com, speedo, or anyplace you get good workout suits.

And yes, even though it might say oil, read the label. A lot of oils (Neutrogena and otherwise) have crap in them. And if you put in on your hair, then you dive, some of it is going to end up on fish and the reef (same goes for oils, lotions, etc).

Good thread!

I really like this stuff for after dive detangling and conditioning, when warm water traveling: Sexy Hair Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner Ulta.com - Cosmetics, Fragrance, Salon and Beauty Gifts

I also have some jelly bands for my ponytails. Some of my hair still sticks in them a bit, but doesn't hurt, they can be rolled out of the ponytail and I can even easily remove and put back on under water. Of course, undoing/redoing doesn't work when wearing a hood.

For my flyaways, I use little flat clips and have recently picked up some hairbands that are like a completely finished ponytail band. Don't yet know, if one will stay in place despite mask on and off. Will keep you posted on that matter.

*The best thing I ever did for my hair was buy a neoprene mask strap cover.

My hair is above the shoulders and it gets frizzy when subjected to salt water. So, I use a spray on conditioner/sunscreen for my hair, put it in a short ponytail and I also wear a beanie (Bare has some great ones now). It not only keeps my hair from getting extremely tangled, but because the beanie has a colored stripe at the bottom, I am easy to recognize underwater. It also keeps my head warm and we all now what we heard about keeping our heads warm from our Mothers when we were younger!

Yeah my advice to keep short hair like me :) I never have problems with my hair! :wink: On the flip side, maybe a swim cap or hook would help??

rebreather.jpg

Back
Top Bottom