H2Odessey Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fndmylove:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Alt_Air.asp

directly from scuba toys website, and scroll down to read the following:

H2Odyssey Extra Air System

This is the brand new one that comes with an on off switch!

A new twist on pony bottles, and spare air is the H2O Odyssey Extra Air System. The heart of the system is a unique regulator, that is threaded to screw directly into any standard thread scuba tank... choose from a 6, 13, or 19 cubic foot

We also have The Envoy RaZor first stage! It also is threaded to screw directly into any standard thread pony tank...

If you decide to go with either one just give me a call and we will get it heading your way!

Thanks

Joe

mike_s:
For the cost of the 19ft H2Odyssey ($315), you can pick up a 19cf tank for $100 bucks and still have over $200 left for a light to medium duty regulator.

The thing is by building it yourself it offers you more flexibility to get exactly what you want.

Yeah, but you still need a first and second stage, no? And a pressure gauge? I just like how compact the sucker is (no hoses), but perhaps I'm harping on this too much, I'll shall think deeply about it.

I just went by my local lds, the H2Odessey can be implemented with any size pony.

ClayJar:
(I'm just waiting for someone to come out with one that's just a big lift bag. You attach it to your BC, and in an emergency, you pull a string and it blows a big "air bag" around your head to let you breathe as you rocket toward the surface. They could make it 100% O2, too, and market it as "Gets you to the surface and starts your DCS treatment, all in one tiny package!")
Where do I get one???:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

scubatoys:
We also have The Envoy RaZor first stage! It also is threaded to screw directly into any standard thread pony tank...

If you decide to go with either one just give me a call and we will get it heading your way!

Thanks

Joe
The Razor looks sweet :)

scubatoys:

Thanks

Joe

how much is this product?

fndmylove:
Yeah, but you still need a first and second stage, no? And a pressure gauge? I just like how compact the sucker is (no hoses), but perhaps I'm harping on this too much, I'll shall think deeply about it.

you're correct. The compactness of it is a plus.

I guess a lot of which setup is personal preference and which works best for you.

The H2Odyssey doesn't come with a pressure gauge by default, but it's an option. For traditional Pony setups some people don't use a pressure gauge but most use a small one on a 6" to 9" hose that is typically tied or bunge'd in place. You can also get with I call the "lug nut" pressure gauge which looks like a truck lug nut and a mini gauge in the end of it. It's nice and small, but you have to turn the bottle just right to see it.
ponygauge.jpg

Most folks with the traditional pony setup have their 2nd stage and hose bunge'd in place for quick retrieval/deployment. The lack of a hose on the H2odyssey changes this. You'd have to mount the whole bottle for quick deployment. (But I think they sell a mount kit for it that I haven't seen).

If you gat an H2Odyssey, make sure to do a "review" on here of how you like it. I look forward to it.

With the H2Odyssey regulator gadget on a larger bottle (say, a 19cf), the "not enough air" argument would indeed be moot, but I would wonder about the usability.

It seems obvious to me that you wouldn't just sit there with a 19cf bottle dangling from your mouthpiece, so you'd end up having to hug the bottle all the way up. Still, that leaves one arm free to vent as you ascend. If you need to watch a computer or depth gauge, I imagine it would be a bit more difficult, too. With my pony, it's clipped off to me. If I need to use it, there's no practical difference between that and using any other second stage; the hose just routes a different way.

On the other hand, having a tank-integrated first stage could be a significant advantage compared to a yoke valve and first stage. I've found, at times, the yoke screw on my pony's reg gets in the way. It's not a big deal, but it *is* a small annoyance. (Of course, I'm having the problem eliminated next spring, as I'm going to convert it to DIN when I bring it in for its annual.)

mike_s:
you're correct. The compactness of it is a plus.

I guess a lot of which setup is personal preference and which works best for you.

The H2Odyssey doesn't come with a pressure gauge by default, but it's an option. For traditional Pony setups some people don't use a pressure gauge but most use a small one on a 6" to 9" hose that is typically tied or bunge'd in place. You can also get with I call the "lug nut" pressure gauge which looks like a truck lug nut and a mini gauge in the end of it. It's nice and small, but you have to turn the bottle just right to see it.
ponygauge.jpg

Most folks with the traditional pony setup have their 2nd stage and hose bunge'd in place for quick retrieval/deployment. The lack of a hose on the H2odyssey changes this. You'd have to mount the whole bottle for quick deployment. (But I think they sell a mount kit for it that I haven't seen).

If you gat an H2Odyssey, make sure to do a "review" on here of how you like it. I look forward to it.

thanks Mike, good post pal!

ClayJar:
With the H2Odyssey regulator gadget on a larger bottle (say, a 19cf), the "not enough air" argument would indeed be moot, but I would wonder about the usability.

It seems obvious to me that you wouldn't just sit there with a 19cf bottle dangling from your mouthpiece, so you'd end up having to hug the bottle all the way up. Still, that leaves one arm free to vent as you ascend. If you need to watch a computer or depth gauge, I imagine it would be a bit more difficult, too. With my pony, it's clipped off to me. If I need to use it, there's no practical difference between that and using any other second stage; the hose just routes a different way.

On the other hand, having a tank-integrated first stage could be a significant advantage compared to a yoke valve and first stage. I've found, at times, the yoke screw on my pony's reg gets in the way. It's not a big deal, but it *is* a small annoyance. (Of course, I'm having the problem eliminated next spring, as I'm going to convert it to DIN when I bring it in for its annual.)

I too had concerns about the "usability" of the larger pony bottle equipped with the Odessey. Thanks for your comments pal. I'm going to give heavy consideration to all of the comments you guys have made, before making a final decision. I'll let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom