H2O RAS2 Redundant Pony Bottle System ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KARLUG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going with a 19 cu.ft. pony bottle and am considering the h20 RAS screw in 1st stage and octo. Anyone familiar with this set-up? Also considering the Zeagle Razor but the H20 works on the same principle but is aroubd $100 cheaper. Want my gear streamlined vs a k valve set-up. Any pros or cons on either set-up?

Please, not trying to start an overworked thread on ponys!!
Thanks

I've got one that I use on 6 and 13 cu. ft. bottles. I really like mine but haven't really compared it to others. I've practiced with it down to about 100' and it appears to breath as well as my Sherwood Maximus and Sherwood Octo. at that depth.
I've heard good things about the Zeagle set up, and was considering it as well, but I got a pretty good deal on my H2O system so I went with it. I wear mine accross my lower chest and I like how compact the set up is.
I mounted quick clips to the pony bag that clip into my BC. It rides tight to my body, doesn't flap around, and the button gauge faces up and is easily read.

I have the Zeagle on a 30 cuft bottle. Only a couple of dives on it so far but it makes the cylinder much less top heavy than my old SP Mk2+ with valve did and it's much less bulky and more streamlined. So far I'm a happy camper. Haven't had an opportunity to use the H2O version.

I haven't done a comparison myself, but I was told the H2O odyssey and the Zeagle first stage/valve were the exact same. Can any one confirm this?

The advantaget that I can see with this system is you don't have knobs from the valve or yoke sticking out, which could hang on something.

The disadvantage I see in this is that you can't easily swap out bottles (if needed) or take your pony reg easily on an airline flight to the caribbean (for example) and use one of their bottles.

You just unscrew the first stage from the bottle and throw it in your carry-on. (I put a plastic bag around it to keep the dust and fuzz out of it.) That's another reason I went with a smaller bail-out bottle was for travel purposes. I took my pony set-up, bottle and all, to Bonaire this spring without any problems.

Salth2owannabe

Did you get any questions from security about the bottle? Did you have any trouble getting it filled on Bonaire. i am headed there in a couple of weeks and am taking my pony as well.

Thanks

Nope, no problems at all. In fact the only airport security that even had me take it out and looked at it was in San Juan. I put it in a plastic bag to keep things out of it, and security could see into it, and put it in my carry-on. I figured if I put it in my carry-on I could facilitate an issues that would arise, and none did.
I printed a copy of the TSA rules on scuba tanks(http://www.scubatoys.com/store/tanks/tsa_scuba.pdf)
and placed it in the bag with the bottle. When the gal asked me in San Juan I acted like I really knew what I was doing, opened it up, showed her the opened end of the bottle, she said thanks and I put it away. Took all of about 15 seconds.

I have the fill whip to fill it from bottle to bottle. On my check-out dive I filled up my pony and I was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom