H vs Y

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
OK I know if your diving in an overhead enivronment with a single tank you should use 2 seperate regulators to protect against regulator failure.

My question is should I get an H valve or a Y valve?
What are the pros and cons?

mgersch@cox.net:
OK I know if your diving in an overhead enivronment with a single tank you should use 2 seperate regulators to protect against regulator failure.

My question is should I get an H valve or a Y valve?
What are the pros and cons?

Both offer dual orfice. An "H" valve is built up from one "modular" valve and the "H" insert. The modular valves are the "posts" that make up an isolation manifold. A complete H valve will be either the Right or Left Modular + the correct insert. Bear in mind the Inserts are specific to a side, by this I mean if you have the Right Modular you need the "right" side H insert. This is because the Iso centers are threaded right and left hand.

The advantage to the H is that you can use some of the parts if and when you move to a full manifold. The added cost of the H insert is fairly low.

The downside of H valves is that they can be more difficult to operate. The valve handles are, at least for me, hard to reach.

The Y valves are much less common, usually a lot more expensive, and offer no parts useable in a manifold.

The Y valves are, at least for me far easier to operate, less obscured by the first stages.

Given that an "H" valve is often a short term solution for a diver headed for doubles, the inserts are often available used at very low cost, just be sure that you are getting inserts that are compatible with the modular valves you plan to use.

If I was regularly diving single tanks with dual orfices I'd use a "Y"

Tobin

thanks for the reply
question answered

I ditto Cool Hardware.....I have used both and found the Y valve easier to manipulate for valve drills compared to the H. I too would suggest the H valve if you planned to eventually complete a manifold with doubles. If you plan to only dive singles I would get the Y valve.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom