H valve setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone post a photo or description of using a H valve setup? I need one for an upcoming course, and would like to know ahead of time how it's setup so I can go ahead and purchase it and do a few practice dives with it.

So far from what I understand, I need-
2 1st stages
primary and secondary 2nd stage
secondary 2nd stage on a 7/8ft hose
air gauge

Any help would be appreciated.

...can't the shop/dive instructor teaching you the class clue you in on it ? ....another option, find you a local tech-oriented shop, those typically have a doubles set up on the floor as a talking-point/demo, you can 'copy' that layout over to an H or Y-valve set-up, it's the same thing. It's very simple, but you sound like a VERY new would-be tech diver, so I think you need to see the set up in person, rather than me provide a long verbal description...no time for that for me tonight.

Karl

...can't the shop/dive instructor teaching you the class clue you in on it ? ....another option, find you a local tech-oriented shop, those typically have a doubles set up on the floor as a talking-point/demo, you can 'copy' that layout over to an H or Y-valve set-up, it's the same thing. It's very simple, but you sound like a VERY new would-be tech diver, so I think you need to see the set up in person, rather than me provide a long verbal description...no time for that for me tonight.

Karl
I would like to get some time diving this gear, as overhead environments are not the time to learn new equipment.....especially when this is a learning experience all together. I'll give my instructor a call to verify before I change to any setup, but I'd like to try my best to understand the various ways of doing things so that when I cal him I can ensure I have a firm understanding of what he's trying to explain.

My current recollection from the last time I was in their shop-

Right side of H valve
7ft hose connected to your primary, slack goes down the side if your tank.....this is if you plan on donating from the mouth.
BC inflater

Left side of H valve
Pressure gauge
24in hose connected to your secondary, which will be on a rubber band around your neck (I already wear mine like this).

singletankrouting1.jpg

Isn't it beautiful? :)

Would I be correct in assuming the hose pointing directly down on the left (pictures left) is your primary on a long hose, above that is either the drysuit or bc inflater, the bottom right is the high pressure to the air gauage, above that wold be your "safe second", and top would be either the drysuit or bc inflater?

My current recollection from the last time I was in their shop-

Right side of H valve
7ft hose connected to your primary, slack goes down the side if your tank.....this is if you plan on donating from the mouth.
BC inflater

Left side of H valve
Pressure gauge
24in hose connected to your secondary, which will be on a rubber band around your neck (I already wear mine like this).

This is what is used for doubles (left side also has the LP for dry suit). However, for an H valve this does not need to be followed. For example, folks will put just the backup 2nd on the left valve and everything else on the right.

singletankrouting1.jpg

Isn't it beautiful? :)

What make/model valve is that?

Looks a bit like a left and a right post joined with "something".

Let me add it is not the typical h-valve I've run across.

Y-valve on a steel 130

Attachments

• y.jpg
    y.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4,145
For an H valve the regulator configuration should be the same as it would be for doubles.

Right post (the one near YOUR right shoulder when you are in the water)...

Primary first stage.
Long hose to primary second stage, in an overhead this is a 7 foot hose, in open water this could be a 5 foot hose. Typically this hose routes from the first stage down your right side, looping under something on the right waist band (typically a battery canister for a light, a knife sheath, or some other pocket or similar item.)
Wing inflator LP hose, if you use a double bladder wing this would be the primary air cell.

Left post (the one near YOUR left shoulder when you are in the water)...

Backup first stage
Short hose to backup second stage, this second stage is worn around your neck using an elastic "necklace".
Backup inflator LP hose, if you are wearing a dry suit this would be the low pressure hose for it, if you are using a double bladder wing this would be the low pressure hose for that secondary air cell. If you are wearing a dry suit and also choose to use a double bladder wing, both of these would typically come from this your left post.
SPG for reading cylinder pressure, typically routed to your left waist D-Ring.

If you use a computer with air integration I would suggest that you place the transmitter on the right post first stage.

Eventually you will be looking at redundant timing devices and depth measuring devices. This might mean two computers, or two bottom timers.

The best advice I can give you is to hook up with a diver who is already using this sort of setup in a way that agrees with the way you will be trained to use it. That is to say, if you are heading for a cavern thru full cave education try hooking up with a full cave diver and seeing how they use the gear. A mentor is far more valuable than a shopping list!

Good luck on your upcoming class.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom