H valve or Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman(SA)

Reaction score
Hi there,...

Where I live nobody has ever heard the word redundancy, or for that case, make any attempt towards safety other than using an octopus.

I dive with a single 15l, Delta 4 FDX10, and a normal sport BCD. I picked up a Mares V16 & XTR secondstage secondhand last week, and would like to become more redundant or move towards DIR as I progress.

I want to put an H Valve on the tank and use twin 1st stages. I regularly dive between the 20-35m.

My probem is, a righthand valve + H Valve attachment(Scubapro) cost the same as a 10L steel Faber with normal valve.

I've never seen anybody diving around here with a stage, I can just hear the guys on the boat, its normal to dive to 30m+ here and starting the acend on 40-50 bar left on a 12l.

Any suggestions????
Herman

IMHO the value of an H valve is marginal at best 2 outlets on one tank is not real redundancy. go with a pony/stage and who cares what the other guys think. the DIR for me is doing what's right FOR ME

Is the 10l steel to big?, what about a 12l

It makes sense getting a 12l dumpy, I can always use it as a single if needed, but its a bit heavy.

An h valve will provide redundancy in the event of a reg failure only. A pony or stage bottle will provide an additional reg AND air supply. Decide which you need.
I have 1 tank with an h valve, its primary purpose in life is to let me dive my old 2 hose regulators with a single hose as a backup that also feeds my spg, bc and drysuit inflators.

I have an H-valve on an HP130.
I see the risk as a reg failure before a tank o-ring failure and keep the air on my back (I did sling a 19 CFpony and just didnt like it). Im strictly a recreational diver though....I'm sure the deep divers prefer to hand these things off to their buddy in times of need...?

stevead:
IMHO the value of an H valve is marginal at best 2 outlets on one tank is not real redundancy. go with a pony/stage and who cares what the other guys think. the DIR for me is doing what's right FOR ME

I think your solution is ok but I disagree with your analysis of the H valve. In my opinion, the H valve (or even better, a Y valve) offers a significant improvement in redundancy over a single valve *IF* you are able to manipulate the valves.

It sounds obvious, but all the redundancy in the world doesn't do you any good if you never practice with it and/or can't manipulate it.

R..

Back
Top Bottom