H.U.B. dump valve malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wall

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I am a PADI Instructor.

My wife has a MARES (originally DACOR) H.U.B.

Recently it was serviced by a 5 Star PADI Dive Center and an authorized Mares service center who replaced 6 different parts including a dump valve parts kit.
Two weeks later, on a trip to FIJI, at 50 feet she tried to deflate it and it kept inflating - I had to fight like hell to keep her down and stop a potential problem.

It never did that before and has been on hundreds of dives.

We had to use the emergency deflate valves to control it after that.

We took it back to the service center after the trip and the service person says that he could find nothing wrong, and that he called MARES and they say that the valve needs to pump in a little air to open the deflate valve – that’s what it is supposed to do. I understand that, but after the dump valve opens, it continues to inflate the BC instead of deflating it.

It is a life threatening situation to be in – what would happen on a deep dive and a sudden uncontrolled ascent occurs just regulating buoyancy and your buddy is not up close and does not work out that you have a BC malfunction and can pull the rip cord for the emergency air dump?

I think that the dump valve is malfunctioning and I think that the valve design on the HUB is faulty and it needs to be recalled. Whom can I go to with this information? Does MARES have a QA referral person? The Dive Center people do not seem to understand the gravity of the situation, nor does the tech seem to believe what happened and says that it is functioning as it should, although one of their own instructors was on the dive, witnessed the event, and demonstrated the malfunction after the dive, and told her to bring it back. There is no UL label on the HUB (never was).
Thanks.

...I didn't know anyone actually bought/dove one of those 'crazy' HUB thingies ! WOW! ...a case of good intentions gone amok! I'm not toally anti-Mares.....their regs are actually decent and I dove/own a few of them...but man, HUB was an overly complex solution looking for a problem. I'd post this over on the Mares manufacturers forum and see what the Mares rep says.

Get her a BP/W. :popcorn:

...yeah, I vowed to myself I wasn't going to be the one to suggest that option....the BP/wing is to the HUB what matter is to antimatter.......as completely, totally opposite as it is possible to be!

We took it back to the service center after the trip and the service person says that he could find nothing wrong
That's what Toyota said about its accelerators--and they probably believed it--until a California Highway Patrolman called 911 during an accelerator jam. Unfortunately, it didn't do him and his passengers any good.
It is a life threatening situation to be in – what would happen on a deep dive and a sudden uncontrolled ascent occurs just regulating buoyancy and your buddy is not up close and does not work out that you have a BC malfunction and can pull the rip cord for the emergency air dump?
I wouldn't ever dive that contraption again--not that I ever would have.

steps to fixing a hub:

1. inspect hub, make sure it is clean and dry.
2. take a ice cold beer out of the fridge. open it. do not drink.
3. toss HUB in the garbage can.
4. drink beer.

Told you guys, didn't I? :crafty:

I predicted the very first time I saw a HUB that this would start to happen to them when they aged.

Well there you go. I'll put my crystal ball up on ebay now because I won't be needing it until the next monumentally stupid thing Mares puts on the market.

Wall, get your wife a new BCD..... unless she's well insured.

R..

Back
Top Bottom