H-1 Dive tools - Need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ideal dive knife is an ergonomic zytel handle with a lanyard hole, with a full tang fixed 5 inch tanto blade, sharp edge on top, line cutter on top near handle, and serrated edge on bottom, also a hammer on the pommel is a must, Ti so far has worked for me, but I'm willing to check out the H1 material and see how it handles in salt water.
Also add a Zytel sheath with positive double locking mechanism (no rubber please), drain holes and mounting options for diferent tastes like 2" webbing (vertical or horizontal), leg straps, ect.
I don't use shears underwater, so I can't add much in this dept.

I like a blunt tip so I don't impale myself and a serrated edge so I can chew through stuff. The line cutter is nice but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I take care of my dive gear so I'm pretty good about cleaning and drying my knives but it seems that sometimes spots are missed and things are rushed. Rust proof would be pretty sweet. I'd prefer a fixed knife but a fold up one would serve well as a back up to go in a pocket on my bc.

salg:
..snip..
Do you prefer the "line cutter" notch at the tip end or the hilt end of the blade? Top or bottom?

Top side Hilt end - more control

Do you prefer edges on both sides (double edged) or a single edge with a serrated/plain edge combination?

Single edge would be fine. I never yet found a use for serrations that a good sharp edge wouldn't handle. Also the main use for my knife is people asking to borrow it to scrape brain coral off their wet-suits :wink:

Does your metal pommel need to be flat and large enough to pound nails (like on a dock) or is it just a "knob" to hit your tank with?

Just a knob to hit tank

Blade length? tip or blunt?

9-13cm. Tip

..snip..

Comments in bold inside quote

Cutting tools – just my preferences

Thinking I already had the perfect cutting tool when I decided to carry one diving. Professionally I carried (dry) a Buck Ranger, EMT shears and a folding Gerber River knife. The Gerber was almost always my first choice and rarely resorted to another. It had provided many many years of excellent service. Was light, compact and comfortable for me to use gloved or not, one handed and easy to keep quickly available. I was very dismayed to find it rusting immediately and needing more attention than I wanted to devote. I never minded sharpening and cleaning when necessary, I do mind after every dive whether I’ve used it for months or not, just because I carry it in salt water.

I find the EMT shear too bulky to carry. Yes it is thin but the flat, rigid plane aspect and the uneven shape makes it get hung up with other things, hard to get into and out of pocket and was impossible to secure closed quickly and easily. The ratio of hassle and threat to use was not desirable.

I searched quite a bit settling on a Wenoka but was unable to find the unimproved model and did not like the sheath on the improved one at all.

Sadly I began it all again. Unfortunately where I live I’m limited at what I can actually touch and operate. Searching online was a challenge as not all information was available. So one thing I would like to see is detailed information such as a something like a ruler for reference, multiple views and the ability to zoom the pixels outa them.

If I’m carrying the doggone thing it is for strictly emergency need so I want it mounted on my BC – visually available to anyone else as well as myself and at least in theory with either hand. Therefore thin and sleek to the BC. I’ve not found grommet nuts to be a problem as I feared.
I want something no longer total than 7” and preferably only 5” like a folding, although I’m concerned about being able to open it one handed in awkward positions and not convinced a folding knife is the way to go. If it folds, I have to be 100% certain it’s not gonna rust and gunk up reminding me of my arthritic knee. I do like the uncomplicated 1 thing with a folding knife vs sheath plus knife and a means to secure them together since I can’t hear it drop when it hits the sand and a way to secure to BC = bulky

I prefer lethal sharp cutting surfaces within drip dry maintenance requirements and extreme strength considering it is a very low profile blade. I’ll take flexibility and possible permanent distortion (destruction in the case of a folding) over brittle. Although I do not plan to use it with any frequency I’ll pay what it takes to get what I want (please don’t tell the marketing people.)
I want a double drop plain point ever so slightly rounded (I had a surgeon admire my operation with the Buck Knife – think of a scalpel blade) to plain edge as well as serrated – opposing side. Hooked Line cutter near tip of serrated, position balanced in regard to blade strength. I’ve seen that in folding but that line cutter is an exposed cutting surface and I just don’t get it. Unprotected cutting surfaces when the knife is not in use is a deal breaker no matter what else, and I’m not convinced a line cutter is worth the reduction in strength.
My gloves are all the cushion and grip I need and have no use for plastic and less for color preferring Spyderco’s bare bones, clean minimalist, down to business designs. Don’t add useless weight and bulk.
As far as sheaths go, can they just be firmly friction fit? Material resistant to slicing as Kevlar or a thin layer so you have some leeway when inserting and the handle is pushed along a guided path snug as a bug? I can deal with learning how to feel my way without looking, it just takes a couple of practice runs. I do think an obscenely bright mouth area of sheath would have value as a location signal however I personally detest any form of orange and would be loath to resign myself to tolerating it.
I prefer a full tang, again strength for overall size and as a hammering surface although it (hammering) is a low priority. I like the idea of a screwdriver tip shaped butt – only along the lines of multiple applications but not as a primary capability – or frequent use.
Some sort of distinction to the gloved hand – I’m very tactile – when it goes from handle to blade and what way is up. Fair warning is all I ask, remember I want sleek and very low profile. Handle sized for women’s large to Men’s small size. Quite possibly I’d buy something with less of my wish list if it fit my hand; there is a lot to be said for being able to manipulate what ya got to work with.
Weight is just heavy enough to notice I’m carrying it and not 1 oz more, it all adds up and right now wet gear weighs enough.

I was just looking at the Salt (various models) and it seems to me that Spyderco is already well versed in suiting their knives to different activities and personas.

I feel a dive knife should be:

-light weight
-corrosion proof (as close to as possible)
-have a full tang
-blade on one side only
-possibly comb of serrated and smooth
-if it doesn't have a line cutter, a curved blade like the Tasman would be nice
-it doesn't need a super pointy tip but not competely blunt
-sheath must securely hold the knife
-sheath must also securely attach to BC, not just a clip
-lanyard option for the knife to secure to wrist before using

I feel the greates advantage Spyderco could have at manufacturing a dive knife is variety. A combination of different blade options would be great, including size.

Has anyone had any experiance with the "Fogcutter", knife, shear combo - that Scubatoys carries?

Back
Top Bottom