Guy to Break World Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup...
Clown is a lot nicer than what I call him.

A few years back I was seriously contemplating a world record depth for air. I had a few things going for me that most people don't and truly believe I have a good chance of doing it successfully. You know why I didn't attempt it? Because I have a wife and kids who love me and I'm not THIS level of A-hole to stick them with such a loss just so I could say, "look at me world I went deeper than you."

Really? You're going to call this deceased man, this father, this husband.....a clown? You're a class act, buddy.

What else can you call someone who decides to go to 1200' without any experience of any kind at all deeper than ~850', and does so despite being a husband and father? Even if 1200' was an acceptable goal, the approach taken does not reflect well on the deceased.

You know why I didn't attempt it? Because I have a wife and kids who love me and I'm not THIS level of A-hole to stick them with such a loss just so I could say, "look at me world I went deeper than you."

I agree with you. However I don't understand how some people feel the need to stomp on a man's grave in the name of accident analysis. The man made mistakes and paid the price. Calling the deceased diver a "clown" though is pretty excessive. Don't you think that'd sting his kids if they read it on here?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. How do you think his kid would feel seeing an industry professional calling his deceased father a "clown"?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. How do you think his kid would feel seeing an industry professional calling his deceased father a "clown"?

Better knowing the truth than thinking his dad was some kind of hero and trying to emulate him in the future.

Clearly you are also "OOGdiver". Why did you you make a new screen name? Have something to hide?

---------- Post added August 19th, 2015 at 10:59 PM ----------

I agree with you. However I don't understand how some people feel the need to stomp on a man's grave in the name of accident analysis. The man made mistakes and paid the price. Calling the deceased diver a "clown" though is pretty excessive. Don't you think that'd sting his kids if they read it on here?

Quoting for preservation....

Really? You're going to call this deceased man, this father, this husband.....a clown? You're a class act, buddy.

I would have called him a clown to his face when he was alive, so yes I'll call him a clown now too. I find the idea that just because someone is dead we are all obligated to be super nice very offensive.

It has already been pointed out that his son was part of the dive team.....that stings bad enough I'm sure. If his dive team and family didn't care enough to give a damn what we said 3 MONTHS BEFORE his dive, why would they care what we say now?

As far as respecting the deceased....that gets in the way of reality. I believe Rodney Carrington said it best:

When people talk about someone who dies they like to say things like "Well, he's gone to a better place." But what if he was an *******? What do you say then? They should probably say "I hope they didn't bury him in a sweater. Its gonna be hot where he's going".

Two things...
One, I'd hope that it would dissuade future clowns from trying the same stupid thing.
Two, I'd hope it would sting the family that allowed this clown to make this dive. The son was a backup diver. If "Like Father, Like Son" is accurate, do we need to worry about the son attempting this level of clownery in the future?
And Three, but most importantly, death sucks. We're mad. This didn't have to happen. So, we express our anger towards the arsehat that made it happen.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom