Guns for freeshafting on Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Hawaiian Sling has a range of about 8 to at least 15 feet, depending on the skill and strength of the hunter. A Pole Spear has a range of maybe 2 to 7-8 feet, depending on the type of spear, length, configuration and again strength of the hunter.

In the Bahamas, spearguns are not allowed so slings and pole spears are the only game in town . A sling shoots a free shaft. Often, on a skittish fish (like a Mutton Snapper) a sling is advantageous due to the increased range. Also, if the shaft placement is decent and the fish swims away, you can often track it and get a second shot to retrieve the fish.

I know this is not SCUBA, but this recent video provides a good example of how the increased range of the sling can be applied and then teamwork comes into play to quickly get the fish before attracting too much attention from sharks.

My buddy Atil delivers the first shaft and I make a dive and place a pole spear shot to recover.

"freeshafting" has been around for a long time.

Biller muzzles take care of the snap track feature out of the box being semi closed.
The muzzles last a few years before they get too loose.
You're going to lose shafts freeshafting, notch shafts are cheaper.
Single bands reload faster.
Custom guns are generally significantly more expensive and normally provide 0 benefits over a stock gun other than finish.
Biller actions will work with several brands of shafts.
TBH, unless you are shooting commercially I can't imagine really needing the speed reloading that often.
I was shooting up to 20 fish a dive freeshafting commercially butv ec diving rarely shot more than one or two. Limits are just too small to need it, I'd rather do several dives a day

No, this is completely different.
I haven't seen that before. The reload time is fast. I'd like to take a look at the mech to see how the 'sear' release is setup. Looks interesting.

Yes it will. It's called a top loading muzzle instead of a front loading muzzle for a reason. But like I said after a few thousand loadings it gets loose enough to effect accuracy. Both the metal and wood guns have them.
The guys I dove with all built up custom guns with Biller, JBL and Spearfishing Specialties parts. And the occasional bow rail or shower rod.

Since an inquiry was made, I should probably mention that MAKO Spearguns also offers a gun that is perfectly adaptable to shooting a freeshaft. No modifications are necessary - other than removal of the shooting line from the shaft. The enclosed track makes loading fast and easy.

It should probably be emphasized that guns that have an open track and an open muzzle are not directly capable of safely shooting a freeshaft. The basic reason is that, for this type of gun, a wrap of line is placed over the end of the shaft when loading so that the shaft is held tightly in the track.

If the shaft is not secured by one of the following: (a) closed muzzle, (b) enclosed track or (c) a wrap of line, then the spear shaft can fall away from the front of the gun when loaded and result in the unintentional release of a shaft. Something that is very important to avoid.

The MAKO Teak gun shoots euro notch shafts which have shark fin tabs. The gun is handmade and the roller mechanism is extremely smooth and strong.

The MAKO Teak Enclosed Track Euro Speargun includes:
  • Made of 100% hand selected teak for a stunning look. 1 5/8" wide x 1 3/8" high
  • Enclosed track increases accuracy and loading speed. It's removable,replaceable and modifiable, so the front end can be shaved down and opened up. Accepts 7.0mm and 7.5mm spears.
  • Treated with pressure infused tung oil for a long lasting finish.
  • The MAKO/Ermes Sub Double Roller Reverse (EURO) Trigger Mechanism makes this the smoothest and most accurate trigger mech ever produced. Trigger, Sear and line release 100% machined from stainless steel. Twin roller wheels eliminate friction.
  • Selectable left or right hand line release for single or double wrap.
  • Your choice of twin or triple 14.5mm small ID MAKO/Primeline Power Bands.
  • Tin Man AR15 speargun handle frame w/ black grip.
  • Comfortable molded loading butt (non slip and no pain).
  • Internal ballasting delivers buoyancy without spear and slightly negative with spear for the perfect balance.
  • South African 7.0mm euro spear with 3 sharkfin tabs and hand tuned flopper.
  • MAKO Rapid Change corded wishbones rated over 1,000 lbs.
  • Fully rigged with 300lb mono shooting line.
  • South African shock cord with swivel clip for Teak guns ordered without reel.

Teak Enclosed Track Euro Speargun

MTES-2__72916.1614197630.jpg

Update: We now offer an aluminum rail gun with an enclosed track option. the MAKO Titan Elite Gun.

This gun can also be shot as a free shaft using the standard shaft, all that is required that the line be removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom