Guns for freeshafting on Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..//... I shot fish for almost 8 years when I worked on a live aboard in the Bahamas and we used a Hawaiian sling. ...//... Why not use one?
Like everything in scuba, "it depends". I'm tired of hearing that particular quote, but don't ever expect it to go away.

A short gun, two bander can do a lot. 'Freeshafting' is litte more than undoing a clip. Be prepared to do a lot of looking. In addition, a short gun is surprisingly much harder to load than a long gun. It is all out there, you pick...

A Hawaiian Sling is kinda/sorta accepted as the 'ecological/sporting' way to kill fish for food. Anything legal that puts food on the table without undue trauma is fine by me. I don't judge...

I’m not trying to upset the apple cart here, just an honest question. I shot fish for almost 8 years when I worked on a live aboard in the Bahamas and we used a Hawaiian sling. My biggest was a 65# grouper.

Why not use one?
You would be hard pressed to land a gag grouper off Tampa Bay with a pole spear on scuba unless you found it under a ledge. Most are far too skittish and once spotted you have just a few seconds to try and close the gap for a shot before they bolt. Too many shooters. They are not dumb fish like a red grouper.

I know @CuzzA will differ and that's alright because we do 2 different types of shooting(long & close range)

But one question you have to ask is "why don't they make open track rifle barrels?"

The archer's paradox very much accounts for missed shots in spearfishing

Guns don't kill,,,,,accuracy does.

I'd argue it's the shooter, not the gun. :)

^^^. That video is great.

It is a great example of the benefits of freeshafting. That HoD (Hoop of Death) would have been a lot lighter if the Headhunter team were lineshafting instead.

It also shows the benefits of being able to backload.

@BoltSnap the gun used appears to be a Spearfishing Specialties Commercial speargun. At the very least, it’s using the Commercial muzzle. This likely predates the existence of Ocean Rhino. The guy who started Ocean Rhino used to be the distributor of Sea Hornet. He made the Spearfishing Specialties Commercial gun, and then later started OR.

It’s also worth noting that the dive in the video was done in 220’. That area doesn’t see a lot of pressure from spearfishing, apart from the HH guys. In recreational depths, the fish generally don’t come up to meet you. That’s not taking anything away from the skill of those guys, I just wanted to set expectations somewhat. You’ll also notice that with each shot, the fish just stopped. That is 100% due to the skill of the shooter.

I said Hawaiian Sling, not Pole Spear; a world of difference.
You would be hard pressed to land a gag grouper off Tampa Bay with a pole spear on scuba unless you found it under a ledge. Most are far too skittish and once spotted you have just a few seconds to try and close the gap for a shot before they bolt. Too many shooters. They are not dumb fish like a red grouper.

I said Hawaiian Sling, not Pole Spear; a world of difference.
Pole spear, hawaiian sling. Very similar. Same problem, nearly impossible to land a gag at recreational depths because you don't have the range.

In fact one technique I've learned on the smart big boys that won't let you get within 20 feet is to launch a shaft at them and quickly reload. The shaft landing next to them confuses them and they'll move a few feet and look at the shaft and not focus on the fact you're closing the gap to within shooting range. Desperate attempts sometimes work.

Do you realize how much a Hawaiian Sling resembles a Spear gun?

I never shot Gag Grouper, only the common species found in the Bahamas. When they stayed out of range or holed-up we would call them. It’s a trick I learned from the market shooters, those guys could sweep a reef clean.

Excuse my ignorance here but what does "we would call them" mean here? Call them by name, rank or size?? :)

Have you heard of calling ducks and geese? Same idea, but you use a sound that gets a response from the grouper. They stick their heads out of the hole and you shoot them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom