Gulf State Pier 8-15-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with jwhitlock yesterday afternoon about 6PM and we loaded his gear into my truck. After heading over to the Gulf State Park(near the condos), driving around the construction blockade, and driving over a few dunes that have settled across whats left of the road, we parked about 200' from the pier. If you are driving a car, don't even consider attempting it. If you are driving a truck, know that you're risking a tow and probably a ticket as well.

The water looked great and the surf was running with small shin-high sets. Visibility in the 10-20' range without much seaweed at all. Water temperatures in the high 80s and I wore no exposure protection and was paid back with a jellyfish across my elbow nearly immediately. There were actually noticably more jellies out there than I've seen this year yet. I'll be wearing a skin for the rest of the year. The pier was thick with fish. Spades, mangroves, mullet, and lookdowns were schooling everywhere. There were several bluecrab traps set out by the pier and all of them had quite a few crab in em - with several left over around any given pylon(we should have hit this site for the crab grab!). We saw several varieties of stingray, including southerns and electrics as well as another more diamond shaped ray with a short tail. Some of the rays were 4' across. One of the electric rays zapped me for messing with it - LOL. I clipped the flag to one of the pylons along the center section of the pier, then we headed south. At the colosseum, which is what I call the large round island at the southernmost part of the pier rubble, there was a large school of redfish. Luckily, I had my 54" Biller, and landed my first shot in a ~26-28"er, stoning it. I wasn't the only one with luck. Jwhitlock took a mangrove and two flounder with his polespear over the course of the dive. Max depth was only 12', shallower than my previous dives onsite, for a duration of 71 minutes. It was a great dive, even without us taking fish. I'm in somewhat of a conundrum on whether or not I want to take the Biller out next time or the camera. There was several more reds onsite(some bigger than the one I took), but also some great images to be captured! Regardless, Whitlock and I had a great time.

I made it home just intime to beat a larger thunderstorm, halfway fix some dinner(breakfast) before the power went out for the majority of the night.

Sounds like a good dive. I wonder if I could take my boat out Perdido Pass and come down and dive the pier? I know when it was open boats were not supposed to get close. My little CC is only 17.5 ft, but I take it out in the Gulf on good days. It would need a few mods to work for SCUBA but it would increase my fun. Thanks for the good report.

Mike

The pier gets regular boat traffic nowadays. This was actually my first dive onsite from the beach - the other times I've dived this site have been off my Zodiac or friends boats.

Awesome dive,I haven't seen that many stingrays in one area. Seems like I saw one every 5 minutes. also its final I'm getting a speargun looks like way to much fun and besides I would like to get bigger fish. See ya Jwhit

jwhitlock:
also its final I'm getting a speargun looks like way to much fun and besides I would like to get bigger fish. See ya Jwhit

Sounds like you guys had a blast!! I didn’t think you all would find that depth from the road before they redone the beach it looked as though Ivan filled the area with sand

Is there anyplace to anchor up a boat there other then a sandy bottom far enough out so an unattended boat want get into the columns?

Just remember one thing “All the ladies love a Spearo for one simple reason we never get to old we just get a new woody” :D :D

We've hooked the sandy bottom there with a 24' Cuddy Wellcraft in 3-4' choppy seas without any problem - just used lots of line and parked down current.

The first time I dove the pier was the spring after Ivan, I believe I hit 20' on that dive, but its gotten shallower on every dive since.

I have always had the fear of my boat getting away while unmanned. It looks like the city of GS is going to put us in a new ramp and park on the little lagoon it hit the news tonight. It will be at the old Moe's landing that sure will cut down on travel time from the pass to GS

tom wicker:
I have always had the fear of my boat getting away while unmanned. It looks like the city of GS is going to put us in a new ramp and park on the little lagoon it hit the news tonight. It will be at the old Moe's landing that sure will cut down on travel time from the pass to GS

I hope the funding includes dredging out West Pass a bit more - its still pretty shallow. 3-4' in most areas at deepest. It doesn't get overhead until you reach the mouth(beachside), and just barely then.

Back
Top Bottom