Gulf Shores report and thanks to SuPrBuGmAn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texashark

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I made a trip to Gulf Shores, and got to do two dives.
I stayed about a mile from Gary's Gulf Shore Divers, so i contacted Gary. I was underwhelmed with the service to say the least. He was barely willing to give me any information, and was surprised when I told him I needed tanks and weights(not included in the $75.00 cost of the trip).
He told me I needed to pick up the tanks by 6:00pm, "so I won't have to wait on you. I can get them to the boat, but it's a lot of trouble for me."

Since I had already booked the trip for my son and I , I decided to go ahead, and I'm glad I did. Gary didn't go on the trip, and the Boat was great.
We went on the "H2oBelow", with Capt. Bubba. The boat and trip were delightful, and Capt. Bubba was one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

We went out to the 22 mile tug and the visibilty was about 25- 30 feet with a lot of fish.
Bottom depth was 101 ft, with a lot of stinging critters in the water..

The second dive was in some bridge rubble, at 73 ft' of water.
There were spear fishermen on the site when we arrived who saw 4 sharks on the site, but we didn't see any. Did see one octupus holding an old vienna sausage can.

All in all a good trip. I can highly recommend the boat, and can give you the phone # if you need it.
I cannot recommend Gary's Gulf dives, as he was not too interested in customer service. I did call the other dive shop(Down Under Dive Shop) in Gulf Shores, and they were super nice, but the times didn't work out.

Many thanks to SuPrBuGmAn on this board for his info to me and recommendations.
I'll definitely do Gulf Shores again.

Nice report. I am familiar with both spots and have dove both of them. Nice sighting on the octopus.

Normally, when I am in Gulf Shores I go with Down Under. I have never had an issue with them.

TwoBit

Glad you had a good time and a mostly good experience(apart from Gary's place).

I went to Gulf Shores in may and thanks to Superbugman for a great dive. We met and made a dive at Whiskey Wreck. I really enjoyed the dive. There isn't much to the wreck, but anytime I can get wet I enjoy it. The dive is only in about 15 - 20 feet of water and we saw a few flounder and alot of gobbies and blennies. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but all in all it was a great time. Superbugman is a great host and a great ScubaBoard citizen. Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom