Gulf Shores for Beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Beth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! My husband & I are going to Gulf Shores in September. He will just be a month old with his Open Water, & I'm Advanced, but with very little experience. This will be a first time diving in the ocean for both of us. Any recommendations on dives that would be fun, but within our experience level?
Thanks!

Check with Down Under Dive shop, whom I've used with good results. Tell them you're new and looking for an "inshore" 2-tank trip. This means 10 miles out and around 70-80'max to the sand with barges and structures that top out at around 60', rather than "offshore" 20 miles out where the Oriskany and Chevron Platforms are, with depths to 100 or even 200' (Oriskany for example) to the sand and top out at around 80-90'.

You want to stay in the "inshore" range (which is also shorter and cheaper since less time and fuel), so just let them know that and they should put you on an inshore trip. Pretty good diving out there, some intentional wrecks and even the bridge rubble, such as the "Roman Ruins" (bridge columns that look like roman numeral II or III) are pretty good too, probably perfect for your experience level, around say 55-75' with decent visibility. the boat is also called the DOWN UNDER. Google 'em and best wishes.

Thanks! I looked them up online & figured I'd stop by there. Do I need to book something in advance with them, or is it ok to wait until we get there?

I'd do it a couple of weeks before your desired dive date. You may be able to fit into a boat at the last minute, but that's more unpredictable. Pick a day, and a backup day, and ask what they have going out but NOT all the way out to the Oriskany on those days.

Great! Thanks for the advice! I'll get in touch with them before we go, & see what they've got going on. I appreciate your help!

I was in the Gulf Shores area about 2 weeks ago and used Down Under Dive shop. All went well and they actually meet and leave out of an Orange Beach based marina. I did an off-shore 2-tank trip, but they were getting ready to do an inshore afternoon trip when we returned so it sounds like they have all kinds of charters going. Ours had about 17 people on it (largest I have been on) with about 6 of us air & the rest were Nitrox. Not sure how full they get for the shorter trips though. Visibility was great and we got down to about 85ft. All in all, a good time.

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to getting in the ocean for the first time. Living in a land-locked state, my experience has all been in quarries. I'm going to contact Down Under Dive Shop a couple weeks before we go & see what we need to do.
Thanks for the input!

Reef Scuba is also a good shop down there.

---------- Post added September 2nd, 2013 at 10:39 AM ----------

Reef Scuba runs a smaller boat with only about 6 divers max. Not your typical 6-pack boat though. Very comfortable.

If you're still there you may want to check out the Whiskey Wreck on a shore dive. I haven't dived it, but hear sometimes it is more uncovered from sand than others. Locals can direct you. I would stay away from Perdido Pass, as the current can change quickly, especially farther out on the jetty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom