Gulf Shores, Destin, Panama City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
:scubadive Have any of you guys ever done any shore diving along the Gulf Coast, Gulf Shores and east on to Panama City? I have heard that there are a few public beaches that feature showers, also that there are a few parks that are reasonable. I was just wondering if anyone has dove any where along there or if there are any other suggestions about shore diving along this area. Any advice concerning tides, crowds, directions, local shops, where to get air fills etc. is very welcome. Thanks, Sam

Gulf Shores has a few beach dives available to the area.

The Whiskey Wreck sits directly in front of Bahama Bobs about 150m and there is a public beach/parking/showers right next door. You can get air fills at Underwater works located on Hwy 59 ~1-2 miles north of the beach. You won't miss it. I dive this site almost every week.

If you catch the tides right you can dive Alabama Point(Perdido Pass) or West Pass. West Pass has showers/bathrooms, but I'm not sure about Alabama Point. There was an old pier in front of the Pink Pony Pub that you can dive, however, there is alot of jetski traffic through the area and they have absolutely no idea what a dive flag means... showers/bathrooms are close since Pink Pony is just east of the main public beach.

There is a divable barge in the intercoastal waterway canal in Perdido. Supposedly just under the bridge infront of the old bridge supports. I've never dove this site and I don't think there are showers/bathrooms within walking distance to it.

Ft. Pickens, west of Pensacola Beach has jeddies that are a popular local diving spot. Catch the tides right or you'll be fighting current. There are showers/baths near the entry point and lots of parking. There are also several boat wrecks within 300m of the beach on the beach and bay side... I don't know if I'd head to them without a boat due to the currents.

Pensacola Beach, there is some pier rubble just east of the new larger pier. It had been covered up, but from what I understand, its supposed to be getting more and more uncovered. I cannot confirm that myself just yet.

You can dive the Destin Jeddies.

There are beachable dives in Panama City at St Andrews, I believe it consists of jeddies as well.

The shore diving at Panama city beach is just diving the jetties like SuPrBuGmAn. I was there two weeks ago it was a enjoyable dive. I would suggest contacting Dixie Divers in Panama City (http://www.dixiedivers.net) they were really friendly when I delt with them and knowledgeable about the jetties. I have also heard good things about divers den which is a little closer to the actual dive site. I believe that it was $2-$3 to get in to the state park where the jetties were at. But I guess the guys over in the Flordia Conch Divers board would be better help than me.

That's good news. Headed to PCB next weekend with a large group (some of my AOW students) and was hoping the jetties were diveable. Last time we were down there they weren't because of the dredging that was going on.

If you have a choice of PC Jetties and Destin Jetties, I personally like Destin.

I've dove the Destin Jetty a few times and Destin water at the East Pass is great - usually very clear though it has it's days.

Last September saw a spotted Eagle Ray at the Destin Jetty as well as several grouper and a lot of bait fish (guess they are all bait fish if you're a bigger fish).

Good to see someone else from Huntsville on the board!

Harbour

I dive the Destin Jetties all the time. Be sure to go at high tide for best conditions. Good conditions last about 2 hours past high tide. There is a shower head for rinsing at the entrance to the public access on Gulfshore Dr. The entrance is small and hard to find so be on the look-out. No restroom facilities. The walk to the jetties is a pretty long one. I gear up at the car and take it easy. Check out my photogallery and you'll see pics of things I've seen there since March. Last year in September I saw 3 Eagle rays there. There are two dive shops nearby. ScubaTech is on HWY 98 and Emerald Coast Scuba is just off 98 on Melvin st..

I have been to St. Andrews state park once. I went at high tide and vis was not real great just over the wall near the shallow snorkle area. I did see lots of things that were different than Destin, some the same. They have large restrooms with changing areas. I did not see any showers there.

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to leave a report when I get back. Now I am just looking for the right gift for my wife so I can sneak out for the weekend................

Back
Top Bottom