Gulf Shore Shore Dives 10-22/23/24?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps in the upper 70sF now, a bit chilly for 1/2mm for most. Full 3mm or 3mm shorty would probably be perfect. Getting out of the water might be chilly :)

Ok. I think I'll still go get my 3/4 long suit and bring my shortie too. For the first dive, I'll try the shortie then depending on how it goes, I may don my 3/4.

What sites do you recommend in Destin? Frank and I might head there after (If we make it down) we get a dive in with you.

Michael

Destin Jetties, but I don't think the tides are running at good times - less you want a night dive. Lowtide is ~4PM, visibility will suffer. Hightide is 2:20AM the next morning. You can dive Navarre State Pier and Pensacola Beach Reef again - tides won't matter at those sites.

We might do that then. I'm going to see about something with Algulfdiver. I noticed his calendar has something about a Rome (bridge span) and Pete Tide. Rome, prolly not, we might be meeting up. What's the Pete Tide all about?

Michael

I think the Pete Tide was a rig runner - its dived alot by the Pensacola charters so its probably pretty good and not too deep, under the 100' range?

I haven't dived too much of the stuff right outta Pensacola due to its proximity with the stuff outta Orange Beach being closer :wink:

I'm looking to not really push myself past 60 or 70 feet. Even then, not this early. I enjoyed the 15 - 25 feet range we hit the last few times we went diving. So, maybe a run to the Destin Jetties will be better.

Michael

Destin will go down to about 55', but like I said, tides really aren't favorable for a clear dive, atleast not without currents.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I think the Pete Tide was a rig runner - its dived alot by the Pensacola charters so its probably pretty good and not too deep, under the 100' range?

I haven't dived too much of the stuff right outta Pensacola due to its proximity with the stuff outta Orange Beach being closer :wink:
Here's info from one of the dive site descriptions:
"Another local favorite is the Pete Tide II, a 180-foot oil field supply boat that was reefed in 1993. Only 12 miles south of Pensacola Pass, the Pete Tide II is intact and upright and is an easy wreck to penetrate, even for properly trained beginning wreck divers. In 100 feet of water, the wreck is broad, long and easy to anchor on. After spending 13 years on the bottom, marine attractions of the Pete Tide II can include sea turtles, triggerfish, schools of red snapper and amberjack, and even the occasional mahi mahi, wahoo and blackfin tuna."
The Pete Tide II has some interesting history - it was reefed earlier than most because of a mishap. She ruptured a major natural gas line with her anchor and was pretty much destroyed in the resulting fireball.
Rick

Wow, thanks Rick. I think that's a little to deep for me right now. I'm thinking we might hit Pensacola Beach again.

SBM, where is a place to see the tide charts for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach and Pensacolas areas?

Thanks,

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom