Gulf diving recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Lake Travis is closer, and sunning on the rocks almost a relaxing as on a beach. Water is a bit cooler this time of year though :wink: But if all other options fall thru, give a shout out and come on down to Travis for a dive or few. At least you will have the dive and the sun options, and works for a nice day or weekend trip from FT Hood.

If you're willing to make the drive, the Redneck Riviera (Gulf Shores to Panama City) is the ticket. Very laid back, sugar white beaches, lots of dive sites and operators, and plenty of SB members in the area to take you shore diving as well.
If you're interested post over in Deep Dixie Divers - there's an active crowd there...
--
When I lived in Beeville I'd go down to Port Aransas and dive the rigs, the closest of which was only three miles out... don't know if any dive ops do that or not (had my own boat). There was a little shop in Aransas Pass I liked... but it was almost 20 years ago the last time I was there so there's no telling... :)
Rick

There's a list of charters here:

http://www.scubaadventurer.com/Texas_Gulf_Diving.htm

I can't testify for how up to date it is, though. Just do some internet searching...

Like the others, my opinion is if you want GOOD TX diving, to rival Belize and Cozy, you're definitely looking at the Flower Gardens. Gorgeous, pristine reefs, and the liveaboard really lets you concentrate your time on diving. Weater can be kind of so-so to get out there in the spring, but by June you're probably ok.

Some of the charters above include Port Aransas for rig dives. I've never been there personally. I have done the FG and loved it...we dove one rig while I was on the FG trip I did, and it was a pretty interesting dive. Not as much scenery, since you're on a rig standing in pretty darn deep water, but quite a bit in terms of life including turtles and sharks. Whale sharks have even been sighted around some of the Port Aransas rigs (there was a picture thread about some a while back - last September I think? - 3 whale sharks circling one rig with divers and snorkelers for quite some time).

As for beaches, been to Galveston's, and it was "okay"...but not great. Like everyone else I hear South Padre is the only actual nice beach in Texas.

Rick Murchison:
If you're willing to make the drive, the Redneck Riviera (Gulf Shores to Panama City) is the ticket. Very laid back, sugar white beaches, lots of dive sites and operators, and plenty of SB members in the area to take you shore diving as well.
If you're interested post over in Deep Dixie Divers - there's an active crowd there...
--
When I lived in Beeville I'd go down to Port Aransas and dive the rigs, the closest of which was only three miles out... don't know if any dive ops do that or not (had my own boat). There was a little shop in Aransas Pass I liked... but it was almost 20 years ago the last time I was there so there's no telling... :)
Rick

I was going to suggest this too. I live in Austin and my girlfriend lives in Houston...we took at trip to Gulf Shores and dove w/ Down Under Divers for 2 days. The second day was USS Oriskany. That was a great weekend, and truthfully, the drive to Gulf Shores Alabama (about 20 minutes from Pensacola) is not too much longer than the drive would be to South Padre from Ft. Hood. You wouldnt have to fly and lose dive time over it. They say there's a little bit of shore diving around there, but I didnt do any, so I cant comment....but I can recommend Down Under. I'm sure you'll find other recommendations in Dixie Divers forum. Down Under had a great crew and a great boat.
http://www.downunderdiveshop.com/

And...here's a quick trip report that I posted after our trip.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=161366&highlight=oriskany

I think this might be a great option for you. The drive time is not too much longer, great dive sites, and from what I've seen...the boat trips are a little cheaper.

I wish my Girlfriend and I could go with ya, wherever you decide to go! Be careful over in Iraq. I have several friends there (coming and going). Let us know what you decide and when you get back from the sandbox, be sure to let us swampers know!

zach5150:
I wish my Girlfriend and I could go with ya, wherever you decide to go! Be careful over in Iraq. I have several friends there (coming and going). Let us know what you decide and when you get back from the sandbox, be sure to let us swampers know!

Hold the phone! I just re-read your original post and saw that it was in June.....not this weekend! Maybe we can go! hehe.....I just had another thought too...Balmorhea

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/

Check out the Southwest Airlines specials to Florida, and go to the Keys! Awesome diving, toes in the sand time, and all the swim up bars and Mojitos you can handle. Fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, and drive a little over an hour to the upper Keys (Key Largo, Islamorada) ,for tons o' fun :)

Thanks for all your sacrifices. We are praying for all our troops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom