Gulf diving recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_RN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Help me out here. I am wanting to take a vacation for a few days (4 or 5 or so) in June. I want to find some place in Texas along the gulf with scuba so I can play with the fishes to my heart's desire, and a great beach to sit on and dig my toes into the sand while I am waiting for the next chance to dive or meal or whatever. Does a place like this exist?

All I want is a week to relax before my deployment to Iraq. Just eat, sleep, drink, dive (not in that order, ha!). Other area entertainment is not necessary...just a place to relax. Bonus points for hammocks, swim-up bars, or waiters that deliver Mojitos. I am a single 27 year old female, but yet I am not wanting to do the club scene or stay out til 4. I need my sleep so I can get up the next morning and jump in the ocean. I include this info because I may end up taking this trip by myself.

I live in Texas (Ft Hood), so I can just drive on down with my fins. Advice on where to go, and recommendations for dive shops in the area? I need to rent equipment- so I need a reliable dive shop. Anyone want to go? :)

Growing up I spent a good deal of time at South Padre, I don't know what the diving is like, but I don't know if there are any better beaches in Texas to hang out at. If you want some isolated relaxation I would recommend going to the part of the beach that you can drive on and just continue driving down it until you are alone and set up camp. You won't have the convenience of resteraunts or a bar, but you could setup a hammock and bring a nice bottle of rum to make Mojitos with. Hmm, now that you get me thinking I think that I really want to do this in the near future. There are also some places in the populated portion of the island where you could stay at a hotel and hang out at bars on the beach that have a pool.

That being said, it sounds like what you really want is a trip to Mexico, although it sounds like you might also not be wanting to pay for that. Being in Texas it is just a quick trip down to the Yucatan. You can do a trip that satisfies all your requirements to Cozumel for about $1000, but if you really want to relax I would recommend going to Tulum. The reef diving isn't as good there, but there are some great little places on the beach to stay. I stayed at Cabans Copal recently and had an amazing time. They had plenty of hammocks and swinging beds to lay on.

If you have any questions about any of these places feel free to pm me. If you want to go to Mexico and can do late May instead of June I am doing a group trip to Cozumel for a week(18th-24th).

~Jess

Two options as far as Texas goes.

1. If you are willing to skip the beach part, a liveaboard trip to Flower Gardens aboard the Spree or Fling. It's intense diving (5 on the first day), the food is great, and there is a sundeck on top to lay out and have a few beers in the evening (if you skip the night dive). Most trips are 2 days but there are some that are longer. Departs from Freeport.

2. Go to South Padre and stay on the island, make day charters to the offshore wrecks and rigs in the morning, lay out on the beach later in the afternoon.

If you want beach diving you'll have to drive to the Florida panhandle. The beaches are also much better. That's a pretty good option, too.

Which of those sounds most appealing? What is your budget? If you're serious I can give you more specific info. As far as buddies, keep checking back here.

To answer a question or two: I would LOVE LOVE LOVE Cozumel or a trip to Belize (my personal favorite). However, a trip out of the US is out of the question right now. The paperwork to leave the US is horrible for the military, and the chance that my command is going to approve a trip to Mexico 2 weeks before I deploy is...well, slim to none. Cost isn't an issue though.

So I am left with Texas or Florida (which I am not opposed to). I was going to stay in Texas so that I could get more dive time in due to not flying, but if there is a great place to go in Florida I will set my trip up to go there.

I simply don't know much about diving in the US- all my trips have been to Belize, Honduras, and Hawaii.

I looked into the Flower Gardens, but the time window when I am hoping to take my trip doesn't work very well with their chartered dives. I hope to one day dive their though...minus the night dives (not my thing!)

I agree with others, if I was going to stay in Texas but wanted relaxing beach time I would hit south padre and book some dives with American diving to some rigs, wrecks, and other points of interest. Not much great( or even good ) shore diving on Texas coast. For what you want, and to stay in US, I would be hitting Florida, costs probably a little higher, but more good dive choices for you. Have fun and luck with your vacation, and best wishes for a safe and succesful deployment and return.

We are looking to do some of the same things as the OP, so we've got South Padre with American Diving on the horizon (The Clipper will be diveable for over a month by June and they are going to be making very regular trips), and we are looking at driving to the Florida Panhandle. It's only about 8 hours or so on I-10 to get to some good diving. Not that much farther from Ft. Hood. There are plenty of operators there including Gulf Coast Divers out of Mobile and Orange Beach, AL.

Just some suggestions. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

If you're intent upon staying in Texas, the previous posters are on the mark. A three day trip on the Fling or Spree is eleven dives and some of the best diving you will find. The Texas Clipper is to go down SOMETIME this month (without more EPA delays, that is), and Mack (here in the Texas Swamp Divers forum) from Oak Hills Scuba is arranging trips, as are a few others. Here in this forum, you'll also be able to find leads for rig dives and others departing from Texas ports.
As for relaxing on the beach, there are a some places, but getting in the dives is the problem. Shore diving on Texas beaches is less than ideal. You have to get offshore a bit before the vis gets good, and that requires some boat time. To get all the aspects you sound like you desire, Florida might well be the ticket (since you can't get out of country easily).
By the way, thank you for serving. All of us owe you a deep debt of gratitude. God bless and keep you, and you will be in our prayers.

Well there's always Lake Travis LOL. Gentle warm breezes, brown water, green fish, and I'll even be the first to offer to string up a hammock for you!

American Diving is the best Texas match for what you've asked for. I had a trip with them that was cancelled so I can't comment on them other than they were very courteous and friendly on the phone. The Flower Gardens are a great trip but it doesn't fit the Mojito part. No drinking if diving on their op. Very safe and well run op. You won't be in bad hands 100 miles out to sea. There are some day boats from Freeport or Port Aransas that go to the rigs for diving and\or spearfishing. PM me if you want to know any of them. A quick orbitz check shows some $250-300 fares to California or Florida from DFW. Lots of options depending on what you want on how much you have to spend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom