Gulf Diving December/January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I are going to be visiting family in Fairhope, AL around the holidays. We are newbies, both having about 20-25 dives under our belts. We have been to Vortex Springs twice and my husband would really like to expand our horizons. What conditions might we expect in the Gulf at that time of year? Temps? Viz? We had scheduled a dive with Down Under Divers in Gulf Shores when we were in town back in June, however, they cancelled once due to weather and the second time due to being short on divers for the trip. I wouldn't mind going back to Vortex just to get wet and refresh skills since we will not have been diving since September (It is now a bit nippy up here in Michigan). What should we do for a second day diving? Would a charter out of Gulf Shores or Pensacola make more sense? We had used MBT out of Pensacola for my open water dives and we were pleased with them. Has anyone used them for a charter? Thanks for any suggestions.

Personally I would go with something out of Orange Beach, if only to avoid having to ride down the intercoastal.

My Wife and I just done a trip to Vortex. We dove the spring at Vortex and drove down to Panama City Beach the next morning and went out with Hydrospace dive shop. Great bunch of guys. I would recommend them and the drive is not that bad from Vortex. Check them out at http://www.hydrospace.com/

Kathalinamarie:
My husband and I are going to be visiting family in Fairhope, AL around the holidays.
Let us know when you get firm dates; Smedley & I are always looking for a "reason" to go diving... :)
Rick

Orange Beach, Gulf Shores... doesn't matter, same place pretty much :)

Down Under has suffered alot over the past two years from Ivan and some more damage from Katrina, they could surely use the business.

Weather is up in the air during the winter, seas get rougher more often during the winter, although hurricane season is technically over... Water temps will probably be in the mid to low 60s in Dec and the 60s and possibly high 50s in Jan. Visibility can be great or crap depending on current weather. Its the gulf, so flip a coin :)

There are a couple of better options than Down Under, I have had problems with them cancelling my trips as well and will never book with them again. Gary's Gulf Divers shop in Orange Beach is excellent and will not back out of a trip, Dive Pro's in Pensecola is also excellent, the H2O Below is probably the best dive vessel in the area. I have never booked a trip with them but I hear good things from Underwater Works in Fairhope, I think they use Capt. Rusty and he is as good a Capt. that you will find. All better options than Down Under in my opinion.

frostologist:
I have never booked a trip with them but I hear good things from Underwater Works in Fairhope, I think they use Capt. Rusty and he is as good a Capt. that you will find.

I personally use UWW in Fairhope. They do, indeed, use Capt. Rusty and his Gulf Diver boat. UWW is owned by Chas Broughton, he's a great guy and and excellent diver/spearfisherman, but he doesn't always want to cater to tourists - LOL.

They run a nice operation with a very nice boat. I think there number is 251-968-dive.

Back
Top Bottom