Gulf Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven

Reaction score
Hi gang, I had a ball in the gulf this pass Saturday. We left out of the Sabine pass just below Beauxmont Tx., and went about 40 miles out in a Southeasterly direction. The rig didn't have a name or number on it so we didn't know the name of it. I saw one big sting ray when we first went down to about 73 feet. By the way, that was the bottom. The rig was like a flower garden it was pretty. There were also large groupers and small tropical fish. The guys I was with who own the boat were catching all kinds of fish and throwing them back. They only wanted the big redsnappers. They were fishing while my buddy and I were diving. My buddy is a little crazy, he decided that he wanted to jump from the top of the oil rig. The rig is the height of a (3) story building. I tried to talk him out of jumping, but he insisted he was going to do it. One of his buddies was in the boat with me and the other was on top of the rig with him. He jumped and as he was comming down one can see the in his eyes. He lands feet first, but he was leaning a little forward and his chest and face hit the water hard. He came up immediately with blood spurting out of his nose. He needed help and his buddies kept fishing and looking as if he was the fool for jumping. He couldn't swim so I jumped in off the boat to pull him to the boat. The other buddy who was at the top of the rig came down the stairs and back to the boat but he nor the guy in the boat helped me pull my dive buddy in the boat. Some buddies they were. We stop the bleeding but I could see he was still in pain. He realized he made a mistake. It was getting late so we started heading in. My buddy wanted to get one last dive in at another rig that's close to land but not too close because he wanted the water to still be clear. We pulled up to another rig as we were coming in and one of the guys said it looks like the current was strong here. My buddy wanted me to jump in to check the current. I asked is that normal and is that how you check it. He said yes. I told him you almost killed yourself and now trying to kill me. I told him you better throw a cork in the water and see where it flows because I'm not getting in that water. He said then he would get in to check it. I told him we had two good dives and enough is enough. I told him he didn't have to prove anything and we are going home. His buddies caught lots of fish and everyone was happy. I told him if he get's back in that water I am not getting in with him. With him still bleeding sharks will come and eat him and I have to explain to his wife that he had an accident. She would probably think I did something to him. We finally got back to shore that evening around 6:00 p.m. That was the end of our adventure. I got the pictures developed and they came out nicely. I checked on him the next day and he was ok but said he would never do that again. We will be diving again soon.

Just hope your friends payed attention to the lessons.
Rick

Steven:
Just out of curiosity, who did you mean by "we," as in "We'll be diving again soon"? I believe if I were you, I would think long and hard before diving with this guy again. There are enough Evel Kneivell's out there without having them in diving. I, for one, can attest to how strong the currents and surges are in the Gulf. They were way too strong for me when I was out there. If you can find someone to go with that you trust, that's one thing. But I think this dive "buddy" showed his true colors when he went off the top of the oil rig. Doesn't sound like the brightest bulb in the chandelier to me.

Was this rig the one that is two rigs hooked together by a catwalk? If so this was Rig #368, located 60 miles out of Sabine Pass, and it does have a 73 foot depth under it - it seems to be a pretty common dive destination from Sabine.

Just read the full post... Your buddy is extremely lucky, he could have very well been knocked out cold, got caught in a current, and the body simply would have either never been found (most likely) or washed ashore for some lucky beachgoers... Or, for gruesome death option #2 - does he realize that many of those rigs have structures sticking out under the water, outside of what one would think of as the rigs' footprints, usually at less than 10 feet of depth?

Geeez, I dont know what to say, but what came to my mind was "geez, what a dumb a$$"
Hope this is not your regular buddy! If it is, I hope he is not this "crazy" all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom