Gulf Coast Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps your figures are correct, but they may be misleading: How much of this oil is "harvested" by oil companies?

None of it

Being it is light crude there are some saying that 30% or more of it maybe naturally evaporating because the size of the slick has not grown in proportion to the size of the flow.

As has been said by some, never let a perfectly good disaster go to waste, so it is advantageous to some portray this in the worst possible way.

Here is some more information that some might be interested in. It is a study done for the BLM after the Ixtoc spill off the coast of Mexico. Though I do not have the link to back this up I have been lead to understand that this well released 90,000 bbls/day for 9 months into the Gulf of Mexico. Again I am not trying to make light of the current situation, just some information, you can draw your own conclusions.

http://invertebrates.si.edu/mms/reports/IXTOC_exec.pdf

You just need the right guy at the right time.

waterworld.jpg

Kevin Costner dances with oil spill - Yahoo! News

As has been said by some, never let a perfectly good disaster go to waste, so it is advantageous to some portray this in the worst possible way.

And what would that advantage be and to whom? It's a clear statement you are making but a very general one. I would love to hear the reasoning behind it.

After all its just as easy to say that it is just as advantageous to some to portray this in the mildest possible way. We refer to that as "ostrich politics".

And what would that advantage be and to whom? It's a clear statement you are making but a very general one. I would love to hear the reasoning behind it.

After all its just as easy to say that it is just as advantageous to some to portray this in the mildest possible way. We refer to that as "ostrich politics".

It is advantageous to the opponents of offshore drilling specifically and all drilling in general in trying to gain public and political support for their agenda. If that isn't obvious to you perhaps your head in in the sand.

Not to mention that anything that gets you (us) to watch TV, buy newspapers or magazines (and thereby see the ads to sell us stuff) will be exploited.

Sensationalism sells. Whether it be murder trials, kidnappings, or sadly, environmental accidents.

It is advantageous to the opponents of offshore drilling specifically and all drilling in general in trying to gain public and political support for their agenda. If that isn't obvious to you perhaps your head in in the sand.

That is obvious to me (people don't go to the media unless they want attention for their cause), however that still leaves the question with what purpose would they do that remains unanswered?

That is obvious to me (people don't go to the media unless they want attention for their cause), however that still leaves the question with what purpose would they do that remains unanswered?

What did you not understand about this "to gain public and political support for their agenda"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom