Gulf coast geology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody know of a good resource on Gulf coast geology?

There's a ledge about 10 miles off of Clearwater and St. Pete beach that we dive frequently. I'd love to know more about the geology that created it. Is it some kind of ancient shore line? Glaciers maybe?

It's strange because the deep side of the ledge is closer to shore. It runs for miles, so I'm thinking it must have been some sort of major geological feature.

you can also look here http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/gisdatamaps/index.htm

for more images. Good way to know where to go diving to find the fossils you're looking for. I mean, no sense diving in an area covered in stratum from the holocene era if you're looking for items from the pliocene

Thanks Virus. There's a lot of info there. I'll try to sift through it and see what I can find.

Man, I'd LOVE to see that ledge!! I have a BS in geology and did a lot of research regarding the interaction of Florida and south Georgia.

I can't say anything about your ledge, but I can say that it was not due to glaciation. Glaciers did not reach that far south. There are many explanations that could work, but I can't speculate without more information and data.

There are many informative online boards that contain thousands of professional papers. I can't recall their names off the top of my head but I'll look into it and see if I can't get some of them to you.

I spent some time reviewing the reference provided above and I have to say, I'm a bit confused.

Admittedly, I have no background in geology so much of it was above my head. However, from what I could figure out, it seems like the ancient Florida shorelines were farther inland (e.g. sea level was higher, not lower).

On the other hand, I'm almost certain that I've heard of some cave systems / holes off shore that are the flooded remants of what used to be fresh water springs.

Oh well, no easy answers. Will keep looking.....

There are several springs just off the coastline. I have fished off of one here in St. Augustine, just off shore from Crescent Beach. It's pretty awesome to see the fresh water boil from underneath you.

I have a link at home that shows where they are, but if I remember correctly, there were several off of the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area as well.

And you're right, some areas of the state were under salt water way back when, while at the same time, other areas that are currently wet were high and dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom