Gulf Coast Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDan

Reaction score
I wanted to get some information about diving off the Texas cost. I have read a few post about Flower gardens being for more advanced divers. I think it was Dee that I remember talking about the Oil rigs being a better dive for beginners. I’m planning on bringing the whole family down to the coast to do some diving for our first ocean dive. We have been doing lakes and quarries here in Missouri and one time at CSSP for the DUI Demo days. Usually I see around 10 ft vis and the last time on the 1st it was 47 degree water so anything with warm water and 30ft vis would be better then what I get now.

How should I go about finding a good boat and location to go out on?

Underwater view of a rig as promised.

Dan,

This topic has come up a couple of times around here. Do a search on the Texas board. There is a boat that I know of that leaves out of Corpus Chrisiti, but you being from Mo, you may want to consider booking a rig dive out of New Orleans which leaves out of Venice La.

Good luck,

TwoBit

New Orleans is 16 hours and 44 min. Corpus Christi is 16 hours 4 min. so that doesn't make much difference. I was thinking there would be somthing I could take out of Galveston since it's right on the coast. Would it be any better to go futher like Port Isabel?

Dan,

The farther south on the Texas coast you go, the closer to shore you'll find oil rigs and wreck to dive on.

As far as I know, there's no dive charters that leaves out of Galveston. You may find a fisherman who will take divers out but that's my least favorite mode of transportation to dive from! Freeport has several good dive charters, as does Port Aransas. I'd have to dig through my bookmarks but I think I have some links to them.

The main reason the Flower Gardens aren't for beginners/novice divers is the distance from land in case help is needed, and the conditions. You'll still have currents to deal with as well as possible surface waves/surge/chop but it may not be as severe as farther offshore. Just make sure you go with a bonefide dive operation, preferrably with a guide with experience.

Just my .02¢

Most of the diving on the LA rigs is "bottomless" diving, as there is generally not a well defined bottom to go to, at least not one you can see, and often it is well outside even mxed gas depths.

Absolutely solid buoyancy control, depth sensing, and navigation by piloting are MANDATORY skills for diving these rigs safely. Compasses don't work, since they just point to the nearest leg, and navigating by current direction is not trustworthy since there may be 4 or 5 different layers of water all moving in different directions at different depths.

Needless to say I don't think these rigs are a great place to start out beginning OW divers. To do rigs safely with beginners hit the ones out of Pensacola, Mobile (Gulf Shores or Dauphin Island), or Gulfport. If it was my family I'd lean towards Pensacola or Gulf Shores for a first trip. Diving there is resonable, not over dove as bad as the points farther east, and usually has reasonable vis.

I did a few rigs about 30 miles out of Beaumont 20 years ago that were good, with reasonable vis and a solid bottom. I don't know if anyone is running dive charters out of there now, or if the rigs are still there.

Be aware that once east of The River the farther east you go the worse the good days get, and the better the bad days get. Out of Gulfport vis can be 200' or 2", off Panama City vis is usually 30 to 60 feet. Of course the farther south you go the better it gets, but diving in several hundred feet of water 75 to 100 miles out isn't what I consider a place for newbies.

If doing LA rigs the ones out of Fouchon to Lake Charles will tend to be shallower. If leaving from Venice or Empire rigs in clear water will generally have water depths in 3 or 4 figures, with the first figure not being a 1 until you get to 4 figures. The only advantage for newbies of the Empire and Venice rigs are the run to blue water is much shorter, and the fish are MUCH bigger.

FT

FredT once bubbled...
I did a few rigs about 30 miles out of Beaumont 20 years ago that were good, with reasonable vis and a solid bottom. I don't know if anyone is running dive charters out of there now, or if the rigs are still there.

This is my area. Most of the boats do spearfishing trips and run out from Sabine Pass. If this type of diving interests you, I can put you in touch with a LDS who can refer you to several of these operators to choose from.

Last summer I have dove some rigs off the Texas coast and had a ball. I was with some friends who had a boat. The vis was around 60 feet and the bottom was around 75 feet. We left out of Sabine Pass and went 40 miles out. I now have my own boat and as soon as it warms up I will try another rig dive leaving out of Galveston.

Steven;
What is the size of your boat?
The reason I ask is my husband bought a boat and is trying to convince me to take it out to the gulf.

I am wondering the minimum size boat is for the gulf?

Try going to tomsscuba.com and click on the Flower Gardens. Or you can call Gulf Diving out of Freeport at (979)233-4445. Toms site is much more informative and gives all the details with links to the Flower Gardens. Check out their Huge boats. Very comfortable. A little over $300 bucks for about 8 blue water dives isn't bad. But if you dont want to spend the money they could probably refer you to someone to do a rig a little closer. Or they may even do that sort of thing.

Regards,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom