Gulf Coast Divers? Mobie, AL??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, don't take my post too badly guys, DSD is still my preferred shop by far, and the guys that run/instruct/DM are REAL divers, they want to go as often as they can on their own time, which I value a lot. I might be doing a night shore dive with the shop owner this Friday, they are passionate about diving.

Frank, I didn't know if there was any required class time or not... again, I wasn't too worried about it either way, I respect my newb status and have good buddies for the most part. Speaking of, I want to dive with the SB crew (Matt/SBM, SeaYoda, etc) more, I really felt good about that Destin dive!

One thing I want to add to this discussion which seems to be mostly about Gulf Coast, is that they have their OWN training facility, classroom, deep pool for training, etc. With Deep South Divers, they have a conference area and a front projector (computer-driven slide shows) that's good for class, but you get to pack up and go to the local YMCA for the closed dives.

ShagMan:
I want to dive with the SB crew (Matt/SBM, SeaYoda, etc) more, I really felt good about that Destin dive!
Hey, What about me. I guess I am part of the etc.

Does anyone have a web link on Deep South Divers? I've heard great things about the owner and instructors.

They don't (yet) have a website. It's a pretty small operation.

And yeah Clay, you suck!!! :) :) :)

I did my OW instruction with Gulf Coast Divers and it did cost $500.00 but I will tell you what all that covered: When I took the class two years ago, you had classroom instruction, took a test, then did pool work. There were about 5 sessions the best I remember. They teach SDI which allows the instructor to add to the instruction and determine for themselves when you are ready to advance. Our instructor was great. I actually started the class in Sept. and did not finish it until Dec 1st. What they did was let you do it at your own pace. You had unlimited pool sessions in between. I would take a class, pass the test, do the pool work and then I would go there in between classes and practice my skills. Our instructor drilled it into your head to practice, practice, practice. They scheduled classes around your schedule and as long as you and 2 or 3 more could be present for a class they would teach it. They actually scheduled a couple for me with just my son and I in them. At the end of the pool sessions, the cost included a night at a condo in Destin to do your check out dives at the Destin Jetties. They provided some food also. They also had a boat that carried your gear to the beach site so that you wouldn't have that long walk with gear. I felt like I got my money's worth and I was not rushed. I feel like I am a more comfortable diver because I practiced my skills so much before I was certified. He also had a package deal where he offered a discount if you bought your gear during your class and he would let you swap it out if you didn't like what you selected until the class was over. They will let you try any equipment out in their pool before you buy. Bob, the owner, is the one who would not let me have my nitrox tanks and wanted them to sit at his shop overnight after filling them to get an accurate reading. He is a stickler, which can sometimes be a pain, but I have been very pleased with their service.

The expense does not seem that high with it including condo and boat ride for check out dives.

ShagMan:
And yeah Clay, you suck!!!
icosm14.gif
icosm14.gif
icosm14.gif

Why do I suck?

I can only say that Burt Valle,(Instructor @ GCD), is one of the best instuctors I have ever met.

sandersondiver:
I can only say that Burt Valle,(Instructor @ GCD), is one of the best instuctors I have ever met.

I totally agree!!! He was my OW instructor. He is not only very good at what he does but he also makes it fun and interesting.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom