Guided Shore Dives in West Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4Tide

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I am a newly certified diver and new to scubaboard. I am going to Maui in 2 weeks and was wondering if anyone does guided dives at Honolua Bay. I am also thinking to dive Black Rock. Any other top shore dives not to be missed? Thanks

Honolua is one of my favorite dives. Not so sure you need a guide for that as it's pretty easy. You either go left side or right. I do left, lots do right. They will break into your car there so what we always do is leave the windows down and we leave nothing of value in the car. Never had a problem because of that :)

I agree that the navigation at Honolua is pretty easy -- keep the reef on one shoulder going out, and the other coming back. But if you are brand new, it might be quite useful to have local advice on cove conditions, and whether the entry is going to be safe for you or not. If you haven't done surf entries, they can be challenging, and if I recall correctly, the footing at Honolua is round rocks, rather than relatively forgiving sand.

Although I don't know this for sure, I would imagine that most of the dive shops would have some DMs who could be available (for a fee) to guide some local shore diving. In the south end, Shaka Doug here on SB makes his business doing that, and gets very good reviews.

thanks for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom