Guided Dive cert card????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been on eight(?) trips to vacation locations, but I've never had an operator offer to set up my gear, let alone insist on it, which is fine with me.

If you go outside the USA and carribean its unheard of to find someone setting your gear up for you. Its always do it yourself.

Places where its done "for you" are very very rare and usually restricted to N.American market.

If you go outside the USA and carribean its unheard of to find someone setting your gear up for you. Its always do it yourself.

Places where its done "for you" are very very rare and usually restricted to N.American market.

In my limited experience on charters in the states you have to setup your own gear (FLL & Key Largo), I know of no Canadian charters who'll do it.

I got the "we'll setup your gear" thing in Indonesia though. In Pulau Weh I indicated that I would do it myself and they let me do it without any fuss. In Tulamben even though I told them I could set it up myself, they would always do it while I wasn't looking, and they of course managed to screw the regulator over the backup-reg bungie.

On a different note, when I first saw the thread, I thought it was going to be about PADI's "Scuba diver" cert(the one that's about half the OW course and only certifies you to dive with dive professionals)

/derail

I've never been on a dive vacation type setting before, but from the feedbacks of various divers that I talk to, setting up your rig for you is standard modus operandi. Actually, some of the people on SoCal dive boats complain that they had to set up their own rigs.

I suppose one could view that since one's on vacation and pay good money for it, then one should just relax and enjoy the activities.

As for me, diving is a fun hobby and part of the fun is getting fully involved in it as much as I can. So for me, I'd prefer to set up my own rig.

I have been to Bonaire 3X and Curacao 1X and no one touched my gear or even asked to look at it. In Roatan they tried setting it up (I fixed it) in the Keys no one touched it. For the Oriskany I think the DM asked if he could check my dive computer after the dive.

I would consider Bonaire, Curacao, the Keys and Roatan "Dive vacations".

By the way, what's with the title to this thread? I thought it was about a sub-OW cert or something.

Others have also mentioned this.

I was saying that I need to go back and be taught how to not be an independant diver. A little Sarcasm Sorry!

The feeling I had on that boat was that I was not capable of verifying my own gear set up even though I had brought it all with me. Basically I was treated like a student when I like to think I am an average active diver. I dive at least 50 dives a year in varied conditions for the last 5 years (Dry suit, Wetsuit, Shorty, Current, waves, Fresh water, Salt Water and a few pools). Ok a lot of people can top this etc.... not my point. I'm not brand new to the hobby (or obsession) just that I particitpate. They ask when was your last dive before you get on the boat. My answer yesterday or 3 weeks before not 1-2-3years.

I'm not going to go back to a non dive desitnation for quite a while that I can see. Bonaire in October then I think Roatan(CocoView) in spring 2011.

Thanks to everyone for your input and opinions. I like a good disscussion especially intelligent debate with opposing views.

I can't even begin to see how you could complain about having someone set up your gear then test it. If the mouthpiece ripped from being twisted it needed replacing long before. If you were worried about the bc being inflated fully then for sure that needed checked. Imagine the liability of putting someones gear together untested.

If you put your gear together and there is any doubt then I want to see it checked. It's not made of priceless china and if you can't verify that it's good to dive after I've checked it then maybe think about a refresher course.

30min Dive is just rubbish though, and I suppose I'd be picking faults after that also.

I usually set up own equipment. However on some live aboards setting up is part if the service or at least the tank changes after first dive. I wouldn't have problem if the dm didn't know me and was being safety conscious. However, nothing they did would bother me cos I will always run my own checks before jumping in and my buddies too. Also just checking equipment purging regs is one thing. Manipulating my valves is an entirely separate issue and that I won't allow.

Back
Top Bottom