"Guided" 200' dive with a single AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers either, but I am going to say that if you think that diving a single AL 80 to 200' is a superior technique as compared to diving with redundancy, and a gas plan that includes contingeny reserves for yourself and other team members, that you may want to officially broaden your diving horizons and catch your training up to your diving. You would probably really enjoy the courses beacause you seem like a guy who's pretty dedicated to diving.

porsc, can you specifically tell us what techniques you're referring to, I'm curious about what exactly is being done. Otherwise I'm left thinking the same thing as Scubakevdm.

You might ought to delete the quote from your reply, Randolphscott. With it in your post the jerk spamster still is getting his "advertising" for free.

I just read all twenty-nine pages of this...this...whatever this was.

There were more twists and turns than if I was riding the Matterhorn!

Oh, learned a couple things here and there too...

What I was saying is that having specific certificates from some money hungry agency isn't the end all be all of training.

I'm pretty sure that most certification agencies are just barely paying the bills, even here in the decadent west. Other than PADI, I only have direct experience with IANTD and NSS-CDS, but the TDI divers and instructors I have met and dove with also seem extremely capable. None of those other agencies could be called money hungry IMHO, just hungry. :D
So while I have only used tech equipment once in my life, that doesn’t mean that, I don’t have deep diving experience. I have well over 5,000 logged dives, and I haven’t regularly logged dives for more than nine or ten years. And as I have mentioned earlier, a great percentage of my diving while living and working in the south pacific, was spent doing dives deeper than 150’.
Since your profile lists dive shops instead of certification agencies in the certification agencies catagory, I have to infer from your certification history that other than your initial YMCA cert, all your other certs are PADI and said certs are only recreational diving / instructing. Also, since you are a full time dive pro this great percentage of dives deeper than 150' evidently includes many with paying customers. Did all these deep dive customers have deeper than recreational limit certs? On these dives did you or any of the other dive leaders have more than a single tank in recreational configuration? :confused:
...in comparison, the south pacific as a whole is well ahead in diving. This isn’t an insult to America, just a fact of life. I am American, and love my country as the best in the world. But facts are facts. And unless you have lived and worked in both, it is hard to give a qualified opinion.
IMHO, this is all just your opinion, not facts, and I'm not sure it's an honest one. Personally, It sounds like a selfish opinion to keep yourself feeling good about yourself because many of your dives have been more risky than the dive we are talking about. I'm pretty sure there are many dive pros with similar world wide experience to yours here on SB and if any share your selfishness at least they are experienced enough with SB to keep it to themselves. I'd venture to say that what you've experienced is more risk taking possibly due less litigation. :no
I am not trying to promote myself, just trying to explain my original comments. My original point is that this thread seems a little over protective to me. With good air conservation and a multilevel dive profile, you can dive with a single 80, to 200' safely, and with out rushing back up. We have been doing it for years.
This thread is many things to many people, but a good part of it is about protecting the ignorant masses from their own ignorance. A Professional dive guide / instructor is supposed to lead by example and the fact is taking guests below 150' on single 80's is setting the wrong example. Unlike PCB, who is planning some tech training due largely to his video posting, you are still in denial about many things. Many people have been successfully driving home drunk for years, but that does not mean it is safe! :shakehead:

Yes, I would like the huge tripple butter super sized popcorn please...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers

Cheers

Can this thread make it to 30 pages?

Playa has created a monster. And I think he quietly slipped out of this thread about 15 pages ago and just left everyone else to argue whether it is safe to dive to 300 meters on a pony bottle.

:popcorn:

Can this thread make it to 30 pages?

Playa has created a monster. And I think he quietly slipped out of this thread about 15 pages ago and just left everyone else to argue whether it is safe to dive to 300 meters on a pony bottle.

:popcorn:

I think that Playa went to take a course, and in my opinion did exactly the right thing.

Cheers

Do you mind sharing a bit of your popcorn :D

I know I brought up the idea of protecting people from themselves (as in pointing out the nightmare in trying to do so) ...... But I'm not going to touch this one..... :shakehead:

Darlene

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom