"Guided" 200' dive with a single AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote from the PADI AOW manual I'm reading (page 71):

"Descending below 40 metres/130 feet with a single cylinder and standard recreational scuba gear isn't technical diving. It's being stupid."

Even PADI think it's stupid!

:rofl3:

I have done dives much deeper then 200'...but with the right training and the right planning considerations...so have many of the other responders in this thread....so your "I thinK" is pretty much wrong.

whatever, bottom line: people here that don't know what they don't know are watching this..thinking it's "cool" next they go out and do it themselves, with their O/W card and 27 dives under their belt...THAT IS THE ISSUE. Personally I dont care if CountryBoy goes and kills himself doing this kind of diving...I am more concerned about his customers or people here on this board that don't know any better. He has shown that he could care less about most everyone's opinion here...can't say we didn't try to "warn" him.

Hope you have good liability insurance. Have a nice day.

I'm with you Scuba and Dream - I've been on MANY "guided" dives where they do the predive and say something like "70ft, 35mins" and do NOT care if the newly certified divers on the trip go to 90ft for however many minutes their tank allows... and with less than an hour SI take them on another "guided" dive.

To me, it appears as though the math allows this type of diving on an al80, but having it as a "guided" dive concerns me. Not knowing anything about the divers being guided my first thought is about the many dive outfits that I mention above... or advertise this type of guided dive as something safe. It all goes back to knowing what you are doing before you get talked into something risky - and you cannot argue that this isn't a risky venture!

You have to look on your certification card to see how deep you can go.:eyebrow:

Last Tuesday on the regular weekly dive, a new guy ran OOA at 60', and after getting air from his buddy, in a panic dragged them both to the surface where they did a flying leap from the water and made a real big splash. Then the panicked diver tried to sink back down and drown, but his buddy (who has even less dives - six total, I think), managed to swim them both to shore and saved the day.

The OOA diver had an al80, so 60' was too deep for him.

:wink:

Thanks for screwing up a perfectly good callout. It’s getting close to Christmas and I need the OT. :D

Sounds like alls well that ended well. Sounds like someone was ridding on someone’s shoulders. Good job for the survival.

Gary D.

Quote from the PADI AOW manual I'm reading (page 71):

"Descending below 40 metres/130 feet with a single cylinder and standard recreational scuba gear isn't technical diving. It's being stupid."

Even PADI think it's stupid!

:rofl3:

Having it in a manual but not really living up to the concept with respect to a Padi facility endangering human life and running against standard/safe dive practices are two totally different things.

Manuals and talk are cheap.

Our OP would be the first to know if Padi had an issue with his conduct. I'm wondering if we could persuade him to tell us if they do?

Maybe everyone is using the wrong definition of guide. A guide is defined as one who leads a tour and lets not assume that the followers of the guide are not capable of following where the guide leads them. If I hire a guide to lead me on a hike through the forest does that mean I am not capable of walking in the forest.

That action kind of reinforces the thinking that when a diver runs out of air they don’t politely ask to share from someone close by. It’s the old. “You have it and I need it”.

I hate those investigations. I’m glad I didn’t see you as well. :wink:

Gary D.

At least at the end they had a deco bottle/stage hung from the line. To me, that signifies a level of planning not present in the OP situation where there was an OOA diver.

You mean the part where they didn't carry the gas with them, I guess thinking there's no way they could not find it when they needed it...and it did look like that dropped gas was part of the required gas, and not a contingency plan.

That kind of planning?

Sounds a lot like a Padi hang-tank on a Deep Speciality course recommendation...

Now they say hang it at 15ft. I guess thinking that if someone is OOG and is now bolting up the line, they'll stop at 15ft for a breath :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom