Guide number questions ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geebee

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether to buy an additional strobe for my Canon S30. I know I'll get better QUALITY light, but I started wondering whether I'll get more QUANTITY light with a lower priced strobe (DS50, YS 90or YS25) than my on camera flash. More quantity will equal smaller fstop, which equals better depth of field.

So, I started wondering what the guide number of my Canon is. I can not find that info anywhere. What I did find was the maximum flash range listed in feet. For ASA 100, the book said 13.1 feet for Wide and 8.2 feet for Telephoto. At first this difference surprised me, then I remembered the fstop changes as you zoom in.

I figured I'd get my guide number by reversing the formula: Fstop=GN divided by Distance. So if my max range is 13 feet, and that would be at widest fstop 2.8, then my GN would be Feet X Fstop or 37. For wide angle. If they are right about max range dropping to 8 feet for Telephoto, then that guide number would 40.

So my questions for those who know are this:

Does anyone know where to find a published guide number for a Canon S30?

If not, does my math seem correct for figuring out the GN?

And how does this number (37-40) compare to the land based Guide Numbers for the lower priced Ikelite and Sea&Sea strobes?

Thanks,
GB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom