GUE Tech vs. TDI Tech classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a GUE class you need to take a GUE class, not UTD, not NAUI-tech, not TDI etc, not by some instructor "just like GUE". Likewise in all the reverse examples.

I'm getting a lot of applications for the DPF forum where divers claim to be DIR trained because their NAUI or TDI instructor took DIRF or tech1 and "teaches DIR". There seems to be a trend here.

I'm getting a lot of applications for the DPF forum where divers claim to be DIR trained because their NAUI or TDI instructor took DIRF or tech1 and "teaches DIR". There seems to be a trend here.

While these certainly aren't GUE or UTD classes, who's really to say what "DIR" is, or who can teach it? GUE has certainly made known its position that it doesn't want to shoulder that burden.

While these certainly aren't GUE or UTD classes, who's really to say what "DIR" is, or who can teach it? GUE has certainly made known its position that it doesn't want to shoulder that burden.

Eventually, down that road you wind up with PADI DIR diver courses...

Somewhere before that point, I'm making a call on what I think a DIR diver is...

Well, if PADI came up with a quality DIR course, I'd think that was a great service to diving. But I get your drift.

Sorry - I know what it is now.

I didn't expect quite so many responses. I did get an nice PM that was really what I was looking for. I think I will look into taking the GUE Fundies class before the PADI divemaster program. It seems like nobody has anything bad to say about it. I understand that not everyone gets a pass at first try but I would appreciate any tips on where to look for help so I can be prepared to accomplish the required tasks before I get into the class. Any heads up would be great. From there I will have to decide on which route to go. Most people's comments on the Fundies class were positive. After that I'll have to decide if I want to drink that "koolaid" or not. I've been looking a lot at the shop in Draper, UT that's a SDI/TDI shop. I've been looking at the bios on their instructors and their dive logs/experience, etc. Has anybody had anything to do with them? They're supposed to be the only shop in the area with trimix capabilities. I don't exactyly live in the dive capital of the U.S. Anyways, I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!

Well, if PADI came up with a quality DIR course, I'd think that was a great service to diving. But I get your drift.
As far as I understand, DIR is a holistic approach. That's why the whole agency should be DIR oriented from the very first beginning if it is to teach DIR classes. Is it possible, for instance, to have SDI/TDI or PADI "DIR Diver Specialty"?

As far as I understand, DIR is a holistic approach. That's why the whole agency should be DIR oriented from the very first beginning if it is to teach DIR classes. Is it possible, for instance, to have SDI/TDI or PADI "DIR Diver Specialty"?

After putting in about 5 years of effort, I can attest that DIR is more than any single course.

After putting in about 5 years of effort, I can attest that DIR is more than any single course.

I'm not qualified to debate that point, but in the context of DPF participation, barring any additional issues when was the last time a request to join was denied solely and routinely on grounds that taking fundamentals (a single course) was insufficient?

I'm just trying to get a sense of where the floor is. Someone who has never taken a class but was mentored in DIR? Someone who has taken at least two classes from a certain agency? Someone who has not yet taken any classes but had heard about and was interested in DIR (me when I joined DPF)?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom