GUE recreational classes - early details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R3 is like the Chewbacca Defense.

200px-0330chewbacca.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Chewbacca. Chewbacca is a Wookiee from the planet Kashyyyk. But Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

R3 is like the Chewbacca Defense.

Haha. Sadly, it appears that GUE's thought process may have been like follows:

We have three levels on our other training programs, so we need to have three for recreational as well. We can't have just one or two as that wouldn't flow well.

We can't do more than min deco since rec 3 shouldn't be > tech 1, so we'll give it the industry standard depth limit and throw a deco bottle with non-deco contents into the mix.

weird. GUAUGAGA (best typed chewie impression).

Recreational dive classes usually provide loaner gear for the class and just require getting your own mask and fins. I'm not sure how teaching recreational classes will work out for places that currently teach GUE fundamentals that take a chicken comes before the egg approach with gear.

Recreational dive classes usually provide loaner gear for the class and just require getting your own mask and fins. I'm not sure how teaching recreational classes will work out for places that currently teach GUE fundamentals that take a chicken comes before the egg approach with gear.

???I know at least some Fundies instructors that provide loaner gear to their fundies students. I'm not sure what's the chicken and what's the egg...

Last edited:
I thought that was the OP's words and I actually thought that was some fake name. Apparently that's some GUE bigwig that I've never heard of?

Dude... Why would I make up some stuff and then "attribute" the statements to someone I also made up :confused:

Dr. Alexakos teaches philosophy at the University of North Florida. He was GUE's VP and is currently GUE's Director of Quality Control and the Managing Editor of Quest.

http://inst.sfcc.edu/~hfl/adjunct/palexakos/CV.htm

I thought that was the OP's words and I actually thought that was some fake name. Apparently that's some GUE bigwig that I've never heard of?
Panos Alexakos heads quality assurance at GUE.

Dr. Panos D. Alexakos is the editor of the Quest Magazine.

Will be fascinating to see where the demand comes from for the course. I can't imagine most non-divers would be interested in it.

Umm, since the classes start out at Nitrox, non-divers don't have an option to take that class? :confused:

Or is this a GUE OW certification?

R3 does sound a bit weird... it's like Tech 1 ... but not... it'll cost as much... but not allow you to dive as deep.

Why would anyone sign up for R3, instead of just going straight into Tech1?

I can't imagine lugging around twins + deco just to dive along side other PADI divers on air... granted I'll be safer... I won't exactly stay down long enough to go into deco... and if I dive with other tech divers... I can't go below 130ft... that's like having a Porsche with a gov cut at 55mph.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom