DIR- GUE GUE in the Midwest (USA) - Fundies Class Opportunity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MWUE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Over the last few years we've been building an active community of GUE divers in the Midwest, and are keen to get the word out to connect with more GUE divers and divers interested in learning about GUE in the region. The Midwest Underwater Explorers (MWUE) community regularly gets together for diving locally and abroad, taking advantage of the wrecks of the Great Lakes, caves in Missouri, and yes, our local quarries (because diving is always better than not diving!)

This year we're launching a program to bring GUE Instructors to the Midwest to expand the availability of courses and enhance community programming. On June 10th we'll be hosting Jon Kieren at Gilboa Quarry for a community day - all are welcome to join.

Additionally, Jon will be offering two GUE fundamentals courses in conjunction with the community day. The June 5th - 9th class is already full, but there is space available in the June 11th - 15th class. This is a great opportunity for divers in the Midwest who have not yet been able to take a fundamentals class due to needing to travel out of the region to jump in.

Congrats to the team involved in building out the club.
Thanks Grant - It's been a lot of fun building out the community, and as the membership has grown we've been able to get more people out diving more frequently at all levels.

For those of us that run the group, it's certainly fun to get out diving, but it's also been rewarding to help others in the region expand start down the path to become safe, competent cave and technical divers.

The last few days my phone has been abuzz with updates from a member takes a class down in Tulum. It's great to get to live vicariously on a cold and dreary Chicago day - and great to know our community has helped them towards their goals! The Midwest has some great diving opportunities, and we're committed to helping our members as well as other communities access them.

This should be one heck of a week/weekend for anybody that hops into the class. Jon is a phenomenal instructor. Even if you do not take the class, we try to make the topside portion of these trips at least as much fun as the blowing bubbles part. Camping at Gilboa in June should be just about perfect - and who doesn't like talking SCUBA around a campfire before/after the night dive?

MWUE is a good group. I have dove with many of them and @wmperry is really the only horrible diver in the whole bunch.
As to the fundies course, @kierentec will definitely be the BEST instructor teaching Fundies at Gilboa during this event.

MWUE is a good group. I have dove with many of them and @wmperry is really the only horrible diver in the whole bunch.
As to the fundies course, @kierentec will definitely be the BEST instructor teaching Fundies at Gilboa during this event.
Thanks Tracy - We're looking forward to the Alpena, Whitefish, and Erie trips with you this summer!

I wish I could have done this, but I'm too busy this month. Are you planning any classes later in the summer or next year?

I wish I could have done this, but I'm too busy this month. Are you planning any classes later in the summer or next year?
We don't have any scheduled at this time, however we will certainly be evaluating interest for either a fall or 2024 class, and how our community can support instructors coming to the Midwest more often. In the meantime, we invite you to join us at our community events - interest in GUE is all that is required at many of our events.

The best way to keep up with what's happening is to join the group on Facebook. We have a virtual meet scheduled this coming week with a presentation on a reef cleanup effort.

Due to continued demand for classes, we're starting to plan a fall Fundamentals class in the Midwest. Head over to our Facebook page to find the survey and register your interest.

MWUE will be hosting another Fundies class and community event at Mermet Springs with instructor Francesco Cameli. The class will be taking place over October 13-15th, and the community will be there diving and camping over the weekend.

The class has one spot open for a student, ideally a student aiming for a tech pass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom