GUE gear requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another question on backup lights. Understand that the historical requirement has been twist on lights only, no push button allowed. Saw a UTD video on YouTube questioning this recently, argument t was that with LED lights the push button to a switchboard was very reliable and the one handed operation benefits outweighed the potential failure point risk. Have seen similar sentiments expressed on some SB posts.

Not trying to start a debate, honestly asking a question, is the requirement still twist on only or has thinking changed to allow push button leds as of late?

Does anyone have a list of DIR compliant wings? Re VDH wings considered DIR compliant?
There is no "list" and you are best served by talking to your instructor. And I have never seen a VDH wing.

But wings aren't that complicated.

No bungies
No dual bladder
Appropriately sized for the cylinder(s) you're diving, Horseshoe or donut both have their place
Corrugated inflator not too long easily mounted on the left shoulder
Simple elbow - no "pull hose to dump"
Rear left pull dump

Another question on backup lights. Understand that the historical requirement has been twist on lights only, no push button allowed. Saw a UTD video on YouTube questioning this recently, argument t was that with LED lights the push button to a switchboard was very reliable and the one handed operation benefits outweighed the potential failure point risk. Have seen similar sentiments expressed on some SB posts.

Not trying to start a debate, honestly asking a question, is the requirement still twist on only or has thinking changed to allow push button leds as of late?
Twist on are much less likely to get accidentally activated and drained.

Looking at Standards version 9, it just says: "When required, backup lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the D-rings at a diver's chest." However, I also see that the GUE Equipment Configuration page on the web site says: "The two backup lights in the GUE configuration are simplistic in design, with a rotate-to-switch-on design."

I am thinking that the specifics of backup lights are like a number of other details in the GUE universe: GUE dogma says "X" is best, but outside of the training environment, individual teams may reasonably agree something else is fine.

On a related note, how about that statement in the Standards about alkaline batteries? It's getting harder to find reasonably priced backup lights that take alkalines. I'd love a set of Scouts or LMs, but dang those things are expensive.

Looking at Standards version 9, it just says: "When required, backup lights should be powered by alkaline batteries (not rechargeable) and stowed on the D-rings at a diver's chest." However, I also see that the GUE Equipment Configuration page on the web site says: "The two backup lights in the GUE configuration are simplistic in design, with a rotate-to-switch-on design."

I am thinking that the specifics of backup lights are like a number of other details in the GUE universe: GUE dogma says "X" is best, but outside of the training environment, individual teams may reasonably agree something else is fine.

On a related note, how about that statement in the Standards about alkaline batteries? It's getting harder to find reasonably priced backup lights that take alkalines. I'd love a set of Scouts or LMs, but dang those things are expensive.

@johnkendall or another instructor could probably confirm but I don't think you'd get sent home from a Cave1 course for having backups powered by CR123 batteries. Like the 2W LM backups with twist on heads. CR123s can be a pain to find and expensive to replace though.

What..?
Underwater Kinetics have the SL3 which is great for a backup and is rather cheap (all is relative), they also claim it is the smallest 3 C cell light on the market which I don't doubt.
I own two of the SL3 lights as backups and they are very good for their price, I've ended up lending them as lights to mates during dives and they've always been positive towards them after dives.
Agir and Dirzone have options as well although they are slightly more expensive, not at the same level as a Scout though.

@johnkendall or another instructor could probably confirm but I don't think you'd get sent home from a Cave1 course for having backups powered by CR123 batteries. Like the 2W LM backups with twist on heads. CR123s can be a pain to find and expensive to replace though.

I know the answer is "ask an instructor," but by pointing to CR123s are you implying that you believe any rechargeable (e.g., Li-Ion) is still frowned upon in, say, a C1 course? I presently have DGX 600s, with 18650 batteries.

I know the answer is "ask an instructor," but by pointing to CR123s are you implying that you believe any rechargeable (e.g., Li-Ion) is still frowned upon in, say, a C1 course? I presently have DGX 600s, with 18650 batteries.
I don't think rechargables are allowed although they might be commonly used. I know I have a couple of push button rechargables which would not pass C1 but they are so small I carry them anyway

I don't think rechargables are allowed although they might be commonly used. I know I have a couple of push button rechargables which would not pass C1 but they are so small I carry them anyway

Thanks.

I've had a personal beef with the need to trash rechargeable batteries in favor of alkaline ones for a long time now.
I've accepted the fact that for courses I'll probably need to have backup lights powered by C cell alkaline batteries (hence the SL3s), but I honestly can not accept the reasoning for it at all.
I'll keep running my alkaline powered backups because they work great, but I'll keep being salty about the fear of rechargeable batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom