GUE Fundie Classes & Amazing dive experiences in Jan & Feb 2011 Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan has extended the offer of arranging whatever people want which is very gracious. I am flying in on Sunday the 13th, taking the Fundamentals class Mon-Fri, and diving for the next ??? days. The latest I can fly back is Thursday. I would love to do three/four dives each day after class: Sat, Sun, Mon, etc. It will work out better for everyone if everyone communicates their schedule. I personally am very excited. I have read Lynne, Peter, Rainer, Scott L, posts for so long now I want to meet them. Don't worry about buddies: how does the saying go, "finding a buddy on an all DIR boat is like wondering where you'll score weed at a Burning Man concert."

Hello everyone, I will begin with a brief narrative of the weekend and follow it with the details for everyone which you can find near the end of this post where you can see a summary of distances and prices. As a side note, when I checked out the hotel and its food today with Dan Volker, I was treated to the site of 2 very large manatees swimming through the surf along the beautiful beach which I consider a great sign of things to come. So everyone can plan exposure suits accordingly, the water temp during that weekend in February may be in the low 70’s which is cold for us down here but bathwater for many of you  Dan Volker deserves a shout out for his tireless efforts working on putting this together, thanks Dan!!!

As many of you know, Bob Sherwood and I will be co-teaching a Fundy class from Feb 14-18th. The classroom will be conducted out of our host hotel and the dives the first 3 days will be out of a local pool close to the hotel. The final 2 days of class will be conducted aboard squared away local boats that are within 3 miles of the hotel as well. These final 2 days of class, we welcome any early arrivals to join us on the boat and Dan Volker will dive and guide you on these spectacular dives while the students are working separately on their class. Dan is also available earlier in the week as are some other local GUE guys as well.

The adventure weekend will officially kick off Friday night at the Hilton in the early evening with a social/dinner to welcome everyone and get to know each other a little better. We will layout the agenda and itinerary for the weekend and most likely have some presentations on what to expect to see on the dives during the weekend and have team project ideas that divers may elect to undertake for fun. Our local GUE Project Baselines may be up and running by that time, if so, divers can contribute to the Project during the weekend.

Saturday morning may start with an optional Yoga class for everyone by the ocean or optional group run and then quick breakfast before heading to the boat for a 9am trip. Again there is no pressure to participate in the morning exercise option but thought it could be a fun value added activity. Arriving at the boat, our tanks will be filled and waiting for us on the boat. We will be doing a 3 tank dive that day which will not only be at simply spectacular sites but give everyone a chance to get settled in and work on your group project if you elect to undertake one. We are thinking of an area where 3 wrecks lay relatively close together so that the adventurous can navigate around between them. The other 2 dive sites will consist of some awesome reefs with dramatic relief and wildlife. Bob, Dan and I will each dive separately with various groups and video will be taken of the dives to be shown later that evening. A nice catered lunch, soft drinks and water will be provided aboard the boat. When we return to the dock around 3pm, everyone will have a chance to unwind and then meet back at the hotel later for dinner, presentations and video show.

Sunday may begin with an optional exercise component again, breakfast and a field trip with us heading north a bit via a possible shuttle to dive out of Jupiter for another 3 tank trip. These dives will include the famous “Hole in the Wall”, “Area 51” and “Tunnels”. For those wanting to swim through the Hole in the Wall, you must have a technical certification and dive 21/35 (although a single tank is fine) as you will hit at least 137 fsw minimum. For the non-technical certified, you can stay on top of the Reef in 100’ or less and see just about everything minus the experience of swimming through the “small cave” down through the reef and popping out into blue water. This dive is unbelievable and sometimes has very interesting marine animals lurching around when you pop out  Lunch again will be included and filled tanks will be waiting for us on the boat. Returning to the dock again around 3pm we will have a group dinner back at the hotel with more video and presentations, perhaps a few give aways and closing remarks. I am certain everyone will have the dive trip of a lifetime, make some new friends and be generally very well pleased to have participated in our first adventure weekend.

Now for the details of logistics and costs:
While you must book the hotel and flights directly, you will pay me for the dive trips and rental gear as the operators want to just deal with me directly to speed up the process and make the trip smoother for everyone rather than trying to collect from each person individually. I am passing on the cost without markup directly to you the Clients so please be considerate and fair with me as I am putting myself at risk financially for everything without any profit and for no reason other than generating good will, giving back to the GUE community and trying to enhance everyone’s experience. I will need payment in advance via paypal I suppose. errol@tdsdivers.com I need to figure out how to set something up so you can click, pick and pay for what you want to do or… email me what you are chosing and I will send an invoice in paypal if I can???

-The Hotel is less than 14 miles from Palm Beach International Airport.

-The boat we will be using for the last 2 days of the Fundy class and for those diving with us for fun on those 2 days of the 17th and 18th (prior to the start of the weekend’s adventure) is located 2.5 miles from the Hilton. Dan Volker will be guiding these trips and the cost will be $70 including 32% nitrox, tanks and weights for the 2 tank dives.

-The cost for Saturday and Sunday’s 3 tank dives including lunch and 3 single tanks with 32% Nitrox and weight is $140 per person per day. If you do not need tanks then your cost will be a bit less of course. Those getting 21/35 for Hole in the Wall will have slightly higher cost for the additional cost of helium. For those coming earlier in the week than the 17th or staying after, we will gladly arrange dives and one of our local guides for you as well. Diving from Blue Heron Bridge may be possible as well and is free though tide dependent. The boat on Saturday is located 2.5 miles away from the Hotel and the one Sunday is 13 miles away.

- I will have a van shuttle to take divers from the hotel to the boats and back, but may have to make 2 trips. Cost for the shuttle is only a total of $10 per person for the 2 days which covers hopefully most or all of my cost in renting the van and paying for fuel, etc.
Single tanks with nitrox fills are included on the adventure trip.

Note: Lunch is included both days but breakfast and dinner are not included but the hotel will try and make it easy and affordable for us.

Rental gear is available but needs to be arranged with me in advance as follows:
Category Item Cost per day
Tank Double AL 80* $20
Single AL 80* $10
Deco Bottle AL 40* $10
V Weight $5
*Gas not included

Regulator
Single $15
Double's Reg Setup $20
Stage $10

Lights
Primary $35
Back Up $5

DPV
Halcyon 14 $100
Halcyon 16 $100
Gavin $100

Wing & BP
30# Halcyon (for singles) $15
40# Halcyon (for doubles) $15
SS Backplate/ Harness $15
Single Tank Adapter $10
Complete System $25

Finally, the Palm Beach Airport is less than 14 miles from the Hilton Singer Island located at 3700 North Ocean Drive. Singer Island, FL. Don’t forget We have a special rate at the hotel for anyone coming to the Fundies Class or the DIR Adventure dives. Please call the Hilton Reservation number 561-472-0316 and ask for Nicole Nie... Each diver coming should say they are in the GUE/DIR Adventure Dive Group

Email sent.

Just waiting for the last duck to get in line ... It's shaping up to be a kick a.. Dive outing.

Henrik

Flights are booked (red-eye through Atlanta, ugh) and hotel room is reserved! Looking forward to this.

Chris and I priced out the trip...and unfortunately we won't be able to make it. We'll just have returned from Roatan 2 weeks prior, so this trip really isn't the best idea for us.

We'll have to live vicariously through you guys...I expect trip reports, photos and videos once this is all over! :)

Money sent to Bob; check. Flights; check. Time off from work; check. Hotel; check(tomorrow). Right now I feel the same way I feel right before I walk off the back of a boat up here in the northeast.

Elvis

Room booked, boat spots booked, looking for cheap flights.

I'll be flying in Wednesday morning and fly back out Monday. I'm up for packing in as much diving as possible.

I've read through Dan's description of the various dive zones and am really psyched about this trip.

Henrik

I have a temporary page up for the website now (tdsdivers.com) so anyone can pay for the dive trips or gear rental (24 hour period) via paypal by adding into their shopping cart. I hope it works! Please make sure your include your information in the comment section or whatever so I can track everything. Alternatively, you can send payment to Bob Sherwood or contact me via email (errol@tdsdivers.com) or cell (954) 649-9186 to make arrangements. I am hopeful this webpage will work and make it easier for everyone.
Regards,
Errol Kalayci

Hi everyone, the 20 spots are almost all sold out as counted by money received by Bob Sherwood or me. If you are interested, please send in your money and reserve your spot. If you have made travel arrangements, for sure send in your money right away or contact us and tell us when to expect it so we do not give away your spot by accident. Right now, we have had way more than 20 people say they definately plan to come which means either we will sell out the boat and have to turn people away until next time or get another boat each day. If we get 2 boats per day, it would not be a problem and may make logistics a bit easier but perhaps some of the intimacy of the trip could be lost which I do not want to happen either. In any event, if you plan to go now is the time to part with some dough. This will be a great event and I am really looking forward to the weekend.
Errol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom