GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum.

I'm not a new diver, but let's say I'm new-ish (about 80 dives total). Just got TDI wreck, advanced nitrox, and deco certified. I'm serious about advancing my skills and dedicating my resources towards that end.

Generally, my core skills are good not great. Breathing actually being the most difficult for me. Anyway I saw a recent r/scuba post where a few folks chimed in about how "transformative" a GUE Fundamentals course can be. After reading up on it on GUE's own site, I like the idea of it.

Curious what anyone's experience has been who's taken GUE Fundamentals.
You just did TDI advanced nitrox/decompression procedures and are not happy with your basic skills and breathing? What kind of instructor did you have?

You just did TDI advanced nitrox/decompression procedures and are not happy with your basic skills and breathing? What kind of instructor did you have?
Does it really matter?
I know lots and lots and lots of hypoxic divers who would struggle to attain a tech pass in fundies on the first go.
I appreciate anybody looking to further their skills.

As an aside, I took fundies as an ANDP instructor and got a lot from it.
No matter how good you are, I honestly believe anybody with an open mind will take something positive away from it. Even if it is a teaching technique and left gaining no actual diving skills.

Does it really matter?
I know lots and lots and lots of hypoxic divers who would struggle to attain a tech pass in fundies on the first go.
I appreciate anybody looking to further their skills.

As an aside, I took fundies as an ANDP instructor and got a lot from it.
No matter how good you are, I honestly believe anybody with an open mind will take something positive away from it. Even if it is a teaching technique and left gaining no actual diving skills.
An open mind and a BP/W, apparently.

An open mind and a BP/W, apparently.
That goes along with the open mind. Try something and see why they are such fans of this setup.
You don't have to buy it, you can always rent or borrow.

"You don't have to drink the Kool Aid, just go for the skills."

GUE has a very specific system for a specific type of diving which doesn't apply to the vast majority of divers (including myself).

But the instruction is great. The improvement of skills is great.

Worked with a solid instructor, and as mentioned my core skills are good - there's just room for improvement. My high-ish SAC rate (relative to other divers of similar experience) is why I'd say my breathing is weaker than my buoyancy / trim / propulsion. And I'm aware that arbitrarily "competing" for the lowest air consumption does not necessarily make one a better diver - but my air consumption goes up considerably when task loading new skills (laying line in a wreck, for instance) so I figure working on relevant skills with instructors with a discerning eye for this stuff could be beneficial.

That goes along with the open mind. Try something and see why they are such fans of this setup.
You don't have to buy it, you can always rent or borrow.
I've already committed to getting a BP/W anyway so I'm on board with that anyway. I'll keep my travel BC but my goal is to continue tech diving so I'll be acquiring that setup.

yes the GUE Fundamental is in itself a good course and if you were asking about it 10 years ago, I would have tell you to go straight for it.
Now in 2022, a lot (it should be "all") of non GUE instructors are teaching the same curriculum with the same degree of seriousness.
And GUE instructors are also like everyone: some are good, some not so good. Don't believe in the hype that GUE instructors are all go(o)d.
Talk to the instructor first to see if (s)he can help you to get that you are looking for.
Enjoy your dives

And GUE instructors are also like everyone: some are good, some not so good. Don't believe in the hype that GUE instructors are all go(o)d.
Talk to the instructor first to see if (s)he can help you to get that you are looking for.
Enjoy your dives
This is solid advice, speak with the instructor, see if you mesh.

I think with the different shadowing and checks and balances in their system, all GUE instructors are good divers. But like everything, being good at it doesn't mean you can teach it. Some might be able to teach and mesh well with me, but not somebody else and vice versa. Personalities have a lot to do with that aspect of education, not everybody learns in the same way.

Worked with a solid instructor, and as mentioned my core skills are good - there's just room for improvement. My high-ish SAC rate (relative to other divers of similar experience) is why I'd say my breathing is weaker than my buoyancy / trim / propulsion. And I'm aware that arbitrarily "competing" for the lowest air consumption does not necessarily make one a better diver - but my air consumption goes up considerably when task loading new skills (laying line in a wreck, for instance) so I figure working on relevant skills with instructors with a discerning eye for this stuff could be beneficial.
Just be aware that fundie is a "shallow" course; skills are considerably harder at 6m than at 20m :) Therefore, your high SAC issue may not be an issue during the course. If you really want to work on it, be proactive with the instructor and ensure that he/she is aware of your limits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom