GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been under the impression that Fundies, can be done in a rec setup, without having to go to a BP/W. I know I would like to eventually take the course, but I have no desire to buck up for a new BCD. I have a back inflate I like, and I sling a 30cu pony for redundant air. My setup, garnered a, "at least you have redundant air" comment when I attended a GUE "casual" dive.
As Ginti stated, you need BP/W. Single tank is fine. No jacket style BCD allowed. It's not about redundant air and so on. It's about team diving and personal skills. You could rent all the stuff without having diving it on forehand, but it is then almost guaranteed you won't pass.

No matter how good of a diver you believe yourself to be, you will learn something during the course. It will improve your diving experience. If the opportunity presents, take the course and enjoy it. Go for the skills, skip the koolaid. Unless you like it, then drink up.
I think this is the appeal to me - GUE mentioned that the fundamentals course attracts divers with a diverse background - newer divers, technical divers, instructors, etc. My hope would be to help hone core skills as well as other working other areas - S drills, SMB deployment, whatever. I think I'd like to do this work in a tech set up - doubles, BP/W, etc.

It has pretty much the same course content as TDI Intro to Tech. Valve drills (if you are in doubles,) S-drills, Mask removal and replace while neutral, clipping unclipping, shooting SMBs. Then you practice propulsion techniques such as back kick, helicopter turns etc. Normally, the passing criteria is a higher skill level than TDI Intro to tech but skills are pretty much the same. If you had a good intro to tech course then you may not find anything in your Fundies that was already not part of your Intro to Tech.

While skills are the same, your Intro to tech may not be requiring the same precision.
Thanks for the context. I just went straight into tech and never took and intro to tech or anything like that. If GUE Fundamentals is a good course to improve core skills with a good instructor with tech configurations, seems like it could be a good fit for me.

I agree with everything already said.

Since you ask for the "experience", I'll add some negative aspects.

It can be frustrating if you expect to pass it, especially if you want to have a tech pass straight away. Few get a tec pass, some just a rec pass, and some get only a provisional (I never met anyone who failed it, but there are some folks in this category).

Depending on your level, it can require a lot of post-course work; this is especially true if you don't get a tec pass. Because this work requires a team, check whether you can find some GUE folks close to you (you're in the US, I bet there are many). A good idea is to speak with them about the course - discussions in presence are always better than online.

There are essentially two rigid points about this course (what some people here call "koolaid"):
1 - equipment configuration; you need to do it back-mount (double or single), and you must have a back-plate with a wing. Some restrictions as well related to regulators and dry-suit. You must have a long hose. NO restriction AT ALL about brands! (some people think you need to have halcyon equipment -> this is FALSE!)
2 - procedures are taught to be consistent with any higher level of diving. For instance, you will learn to do a valve drill that is precisely the same as the valve drill of any hypoxic-trained GUE diver, any GUE full cave diver, any GUE rebreather diver, etc. The same is true for S-drill, SMB deployment, etc. Because of that, some procedures may look rigid (in my opinion, they aren't, but some people think so...)

That said, best course I've ever taken in my life.
Thanks for the thorough response.

While I'd like to pass any course I take, I don't think I actually need any cert from GUE at this time, already being a certified tech diver through TDI. BP/W + doubles would be my desired configuration for this course anyway, as I'm trying to get more reps in with a tech setup.

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum.

I'm not a new diver, but let's say I'm new-ish (about 80 dives total). Just got TDI wreck, advanced nitrox, and deco certified. I'm serious about advancing my skills and dedicating my resources towards that end.

Generally, my core skills are good not great. Breathing actually being the most difficult for me. Anyway I saw a recent r/scuba post where a few folks chimed in about how "transformative" a GUE Fundamentals course can be. After reading up on it on GUE's own site, I like the idea of it.

Curious what anyone's experience has been who's taken GUE Fundamentals.
I did it at about 50 dives and it was by far the best use of money I spent in scuba so far.

It does not matter if you pass or not, or if you continue with GUE: you will get a lot out of it.

I recommend fundies to any diver, doesn’t matter what/who/where you are diving. Deep trimix, sidemount, CCR, brand new diver out of OW.

You will learn something, no matter your background and come out a better diver if you finish the course, regardless of pass/provisional outcome.

If you are taking a class in/near a semi large community, there usually are divers with extra gear (BP/w, tanks, etc) they will lend out for courses.

Heck, even in my tiny community (2 of us… closest instructor is a 14hr trip), we have everything and routinely lend out equipment.

Even most instructors have enough equipment that they may be able to lend/rent for the course, else have many contacts in the area (theirs and maybe yours) with the same information.

_R

Thanks for the thorough response.

While I'd like to pass any course I take, I don't think I actually need any cert from GUE at this time, already being a certified tech diver through TDI. BP/W + doubles would be my desired configuration for this course anyway, as I'm trying to get more reps in with a tech setup.
There is actually something more than just BP/W. But, anyway, my best advice is to contact an instructor and to discuss the equipment requirements; if you aren't interested in GUE, these details will not bother you for just one course. On the other hand, if you like GUE, you are going to agree with the equipment they (we) use.

Whatever you do, you have a very good attitude - that is, doing the course for self-improvement. My personal bet is that you are going to be happy about the course :)

Just other two comments
I think this is the appeal to me - GUE mentioned that the fundamentals course attracts divers with a diverse background - newer divers, technical divers, instructors, etc.
True; I did the fundamentals with a PADI divemaster in training to become an OW instructor. Many friends of mine did it AFTER becoming hypoxic trimix certified.

Thanks for the context. I just went straight into tech and never took and intro to tech or anything like that. If GUE Fundamentals is a good course to improve core skills with a good instructor with tech configurations, seems like it could be a good fit for me.
Good reasons :) another advantage of the course is that you will test a different agency, with a different culture. Then, you can decide what you want.

Good luck and good dives :)

AJ:
As Ginti stated, you need BP/W. Single tank is fine. No jacket style BCD allowed. It's not about redundant air and so on. It's about team diving and personal skills. You could rent all the stuff without having diving it on forehand, but it is then almost guaranteed you won't pass.
I have a Scubapro Hydros BCD. Not a jkt style, completely back inflate. My prime desire to take the course, comes from the fact the GUE instructors in my area, are considered to be very good. I would be taking it; not so much as, for the team, I prefer to solo; but rather to improve my skills, primarily finning and buoyancy control.

Back
Top Bottom