GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I keep shaking my head when I see someone who is a full Trimix instructor or a full cave diver report what a good class Fundies is. It IS a great class, but it amazes me that somebody can get as far as that without having that knowledge and those skills already. It makes me feel incredibly lucky that I got sent off to take the class as early as I did. I guess it was a jumpstart :)
I've seen 2 trimix instructors not pass DIR-f and they looked bad on tape. One made excuses, the other went diving to improve his skills (and is now cave 2 trained)

Guess which one I dive with :wink:

TSandM:
I keep shaking my head when I see someone who is a full Trimix instructor or a full cave diver report what a good class Fundies is. It IS a great class, but it amazes me that somebody can get as far as that without having that knowledge and those skills already. It makes me feel incredibly lucky that I got sent off to take the class as early as I did. I guess it was a jumpstart :)

-- What did you want me to say that it was a "horrible" class because I had a decent handle on most everything already? But then I would be lying (about the horrible part) :)

Sloth:
Don't be mistaken, Sherman had the fundamental skills before taking the class. The class itself is very demanding no matter how good you are going in and you have a very condensed time to learn GUEs way of doing things.

He came out of the class with a tech pass which is something that Steve White rarely gives out the first time by his own admission.

-- What he said...however, just because I already had most of the skills (as did the other students to include Mark) does not mean that I didn't learn anything from the class. There is always something to learn in life, and the fundies class was no exception. To add to this, the team of 4 divers all passed (almost unheard of)...and having a solid team of 4 that could keep trim/buyoancy and position mostly within GUE standards from dive #1 helped make the class that much more enjoyable and allowed Stephen to take the entire class to another level :)

-- Additionally, I have spent the last 4+ years around GUE trained divers, incorporating all aspects that I could get my hands on into my diving and into my courses...as I told Stephen on day 1...the reason I wanted to take the class was to get the information from the source--not from 2nd or 3rd hand pass-down info or worse yet SB or TDS threads. I am also interested in pursuing the GUE track for Cave...hence I needed to take the Fundies course as a gateway to those classes...

-- I would recommend to anyone, and I mean ANYONE (I dont care if you have 12,000 dives are a OC & CCR instructor and have dove the titanic (yes yes I know...it's just a joke)) the GUE fundies class.

-- Don't judge a book (diver) by its cover (Bio) exclusively :)

-- I am halfway done with my report..and hopefully you'll see it before the week is over.

FOUR divers passed Steve White's class? Wow. I am really and truly impressed (and I'm not being sarcastic.) I know what Steve's standards are!

Jo was talking about a practice dive on Saturday. You might want to send him an email or call.

Personally I am open to any weekend day for either skill or fun dives. After DIR-f I think I have gotten the bug and would like to work towards the tech pass and then cave 1/tech 1.

I am not sure how out of practice or in practice you are...what about Monday Tom? I plan on joining Jo on Monday for the 150'

Or better yet, we could do a skill dive Monday afternoon?

If I wouldn't be teaching AOW this weekend I would be there sat/sun as well.

Any chance you can send me your e-mail? Mark, myself, Fish & Jim were talking about doing skill dives since we finished fundies...and I am sure we'll be doing some soon.

Weekly might be overkill, what about twice a month on a given time? Maybe every other saturday? Something like 3-tables or e-beach...?

Sherman

IF you guys don't do the 150' dive I would be interested in doing a skills dive on Monday. We could do so at the labor day Ohana event. Just a thought.

The Labor Day O'Hana event is sort of falling apart because no one will commit. But I would love for you guys to come so I could just watch your skills dives.

Right now it is going to be at the Trench. There won't be a bunch of food or a grill so bring something for yourselves.

I hope to see you there!

Great Job Sherm! I thought that you would do excellent in that course, but as a jedi master already, did anyone doubt it? I hope the opportunity comes along for me to take that course as well, but my skills need mucho practice still.......still planning October trip......congrats again....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom