GUE Fundamentals report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi if I may ask. What tanks were you using for fundies. Myself and a few friends are going to take the class with Doug at the end oh 2014 and I'm wanting to start shopping for tanks for using as doubles. Did they go over that in the class and reasons for choosing the different set ups? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Goals are to use these gue skills in salt open water with drysuit.

We were going for Rec Passes so I did the class in a single AL80. However, we did talk about tank selection and it depends on a number of factors. What is the desired profile of the dive? How much gas do you need, what is your expected gas consumption rate, and what is the minimum gas for the dive? Also, you want to make sure you have a balanced rig, so you may need to change configuration if you go from aluminum tanks to steel or to larger tanks.

Others here will be able to comment with more detail and accuracy.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 03:24 PM ----------

For what its worth, our instructor used twin AL80's for both the pool dives (wet) and a drysuit in Rock Lake. These were not overhead enviroments and I know he used some kind of V-weight between the tanks when in a drysuit.

Hi if I may ask. What tanks were you using for fundies. Myself and a few friends are going to take the class with Doug at the end oh 2014 and I'm wanting to start shopping for tanks for using as doubles. Did they go over that in the class and reasons for choosing the different set ups? I don't want to get the wrong thing. Goals are to use these gue skills in salt open water with drysuit.
if you want to do the class in doubles, i strongly suggest taking the doubles primer beforehand. it will go over tank selection in great detail and you may also get to try out a few different set-ups to see what will work for you.

Thanks guys. I'll defiantly check into that. I'm trying to get a balance of obviously not being over weighted but enough gas to take out in the gulf and with good gas planning have enough for 2 or 3 dives depending on depth. Lp85s Seem to be an excellent choice for trim and weighting but not enough gas for a three dive day. I know I sound like a rookie. Because I am. So thanks guys for the help. Sorry to crash the thread. Just thought it would be best to ask from those who took the class. Thanks!!

First of all, T-Wrecks: Congrats! Nice report, too. And I totally understand you going back and getting your tech pass so quickly!!!
I agree with some comments earlier, Doug is definitely a great instructor.

Tagamtta: Doug would definitely be a good resource for you with your questions. I took fundies in three or four different tank configurations by the time it was over and I would say is that it is optimal to know what works for you and what doesn't - preferably BEFORE you 1) buy the tanks AND 2) take the class.

My primary go-to doubles tanks for salt water in S FL (if I am doing anything other than single tank rec diving) are LP85's, and if I need more gas I can just add a stage (obviously that is not a recreational - level GUE optional). IMO LP85's are a good compromise from a balanced rig/amount of gas perspective/weight perspective. I don't like aluminum tanks bc I'd be adding a v-weight and if I'm going to do that I'd rather have the weight in the steel tanks and get the extra gas. Next option in steel would be LP95's and I don't like how they dive. (I've just never tried the 100's.) Also LP85's are a nice tank for smaller cave dives for someone who may be inclined to go in that direction eventually.

Good luck with your class!

Thanks guys. I'll defiantly check into that. I'm trying to get a balance of obviously not being over weighted but enough gas to take out in the gulf and with good gas planning have enough for 2 or 3 dives depending on depth. Lp85s Seem to be an excellent choice for trim and weighting but not enough gas for a three dive day. I know I sound like a rookie. Because I am. So thanks guys for the help. Sorry to crash the thread. Just thought it would be best to ask from those who took the class. Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum, Tagamtta! :)

You are definitely going to have to play with this to figure out what works for you. I can tell you that myself and all of my teammates who took Fundies with Doug took the class in double AL 80s. I can also say that T-Wrecks and the 3 other divers with him in his Fundies class also used Double 80s. Does that mean it will be the go to tank for you? Not at all.

(I will throw in quickly that a lot of folks prefer the AL 80s in salt due to the corrosion aspects of steel tanks....and yes, disclaimer: I know a good rinse takes care of that problem).

Back to tank selection. :) I dive Double AL 80s dry with minimal undergarments. When water conditions start calling for heavier undies, or I need more gas, I switch to double steel 100s or 130s, but that is simply my preference.

I also know divers that do not like 130s or 104s and prefer 108s, but that is another thread altogether.

So what am I saying in my typical, long winded fashion? Reach out to your local community and try to borrow various setups or rent from your LDS. The Doubles Primer that Rivers mentioned would be a nice move; however, I am betting that you can find a few local mentors that will aid you in the process. Nothing beats working with an instructor; however, it's all about money and time, right? :) Working with a solid mentor will get you on your way.

Good luck in Fundies! I look forward to your report.

I think double Al80s are wonderful in warm water, despite the need for a v-weight. In our waters, not so much . . . here, you find most folks in LP85s, HP100s, or HP130s. You still have to carry quite a bit of weight with any of them.

95s are very head-heavy, and HP80s are too short for most people. LP72s will trim out for some folks and not for others, but they aren't really enough gas for two solid recreational dives, or one significant technical one. Other than 130s, I can't think of a set of doubles that is going to give you a solid gas supply for three dives in one day, unless they're shallow dives. When we are going to do something like that, we use our LP doubles and bring along a 130 single tank from which to transfill.

Great write up T- Wrecks and Congrats on the passes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom