GUE do they practice what they preach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either take the GUE course series, or call yourself DIR, Hogarthian, (or possibly UTD) then.

A GUE diver is GUE trained and more. Things you cannot get from another agency's training or if you choose to remain a distant satellite to the organization. Despite having GUE training, I am not a GUE diver.

Evolution of DIR Principles | Global Underwater Explorers

So I could call myself a GUE diver after taking Fundies, but I can't call myself a GUE diver anymore since I took a TDI trimix course with a former GUE instructor?

Tom

So I could call myself a GUE diver after taking Fundies, but I can't call myself a GUE diver anymore since I took a TDI trimix course with a former GUE instructor?

Tom

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Speaking of your progression, can you PM me and give me the details of your TDI classes? I'd really love to take T1 but for the amount of money it's going to cost me I'm starting to lean towards doing the same thing you did.

I think the expression "GUE diver" is pretty silly, but if it means anything, it certainly means someone trained by and diving to GUE standards. It's sort of laughable to call oneself a GUE diver if all you've done is Fundamentals, but to say you're a GUE *technical diver* having done a TDI class, however, is probably streching things. :)

Tom

I think the expression "GUE diver" is pretty silly, but if it means anything, it certainly means someone trained by and diving to GUE standards. It's sort of laughable to call oneself a GUE diver if all you've done is Fundamentals, but to say you're a GUE *technical diver* having done a TDI class, however, is probably streching things. :)

Do GUE trained guys really give a crap about calling themselves "GUE divers"? Is there some kind of book that tells you guys this stuff?

I don't know any GUE-trained divers (myself included) who use the term "GUE diver". As I already wrote, I think it's silly.

BTW, TSandM's cave training is the following:

Cavern/Intro -- German Yanez - TDI

Cave 1 -- Danny Riordan -- GUE

Cave 2 provisional -- David Rhea -- GUE

Full Cave -- Dennis Weeks -- NACD ?

I was there for the three she passed but did not go to Florida with her when she did Cave 2 -- although I really don't believe there is any correlation there!
ah ha peter, so we have solved the problem... lol :)

I am an avid DIR/GUE diver. I was taking a intro to cave course with my daughter at Ginnie springs and had the oportunity to run into one of the top divers with this group. (name withheld) I was kind of in awe when I saw him. They had someone their filming what they were doing. I descided to sit back and watch them get ready. I was surprised to see a reg get dragged across the dirt. We they got in the water not one of the 5 of them did any bubble check or s drills. they actually just about lost one of the scooters as it floated away from the group. I wrote to JJ to inform him that they should always present themselves properly because people are watching them. JJ informed me that divers when they dive together don't always do these checks. I was very surprised by his comment. Complacency kills. I know look at the organization a little differently. Although they still teach the best rules for Doing It Right even if they don't always practice what they preach.
Perhaps you're missing the point of it all? What does an S drill prove? If a buddy has proven to me that he can route a long hose several times, I don't continue to check every dive. Perhaps that's complacency, perhaps it's confidence in the team, your call. I know that pftaj and I did an S drill when we added a DPV to the mix, but we didn't when we were diving a gear config that both of us are comfortable with.

Yes they do practice what they preach --here in the Philippines. I had an overhead team, my first penetration dive with them inside the USS Rochester (New York) in Subic Bay. No S-drill, but I had them check long hose deployment since they were carrying O2 bottles. But everything else; bubble checks, turn-around pressure & times, the whole GUE EDGE mnemonic --was automatically followed & practiced like clockwork. . .

(Gideon Liew, Graham Blackmore and their assistants must be doing a better job as instructors instilling discipline over here in SE Asia).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom