GUE Decoplanner 3 software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexMDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am looking for deco planning software. I use a DIR equipment config, and I would like to know if decoplanner 3.0 is the preferred choice among DIR divers, or do you use others (V-planner etc).
I read a lot of good things on Vplanner but have not been able to find a lot about decoplanner 3.0.

I am interested in the best software out there, not so much whether one is or is not DIR.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Alex

AlexMDiver:
I am interested in the best software out there, not so much whether one is or is not DIR.

Alex
Alex,

Since you are stating that you are not really interested in DIR specific answers, I have moved your thread outside of the DIR forum.

Only DIR answers and perspectives are allowed in the DIR forum as a reply to your thread, but in this forum you will get all the answers that you seem to be asking for.

Regards.

Christian

I've used decoplanner for years,and have been very satisfied with the results and ease of use. I have gotten Nautilis,and still "toying" with it,but I like a lot of the options that it has,including running several different algorithms,and comparing them side by side.

I use DecoPlanner 3.1 and find it great....right on and easy to use!!

I use V-planner, great software, and free updates. Deco-planner is to cost prohibitive, for me.

Check out Nautilus -- it's a great program. I have v-planner and voyager, but prefer Nautilus.

headhunter:
Alex,

Since you are stating that you are not really interested in DIR specific answers, I have moved your thread outside of the DIR forum.

Only DIR answers and perspectives are allowed in the DIR forum as a reply to your thread, but in this forum you will get all the answers that you seem to be asking for.

Regards.

Christian

Ehm, cheers, but I specifically asked whether decoplanner was the choice for DIR divers or whether they also use other programs: "I would like to know if decoplanner 3.0 is the preferred choice among DIR divers". I also tried to make clear that I am not fixed on anything "just because it is branded DIR" even if it is no good and wanted to know whether perhaps DIR divers prefer other software. But since Decoplanner is made by GUE, aimed at the DIR diver and is central to my question I am surprised you moved the thread.

Thanks to all for your answers so far!

Alex

*Floater*:
I haven't taken GUE's tech classes so cannot say what they use to come up with DIR deco. I have read GI3's deco articles available at WKPP.org and use the information in those to fudge my deco profiles regardless of what software I use.

Now I'm new to deco (only about 20 deco dives), so take this for what it's worth: I've used vplanner, an old version of decoplanner and ANDI's GAP diveplanner. Of the three I prefer GAP because it

a) it generates a nice graphs of the dive plan,

b) it let's you choose whether to use RGBM or neo-haldanian (buhlmann) algorithm, and

c) the latter algorithm let's you adjust the gradient factors all the way from 1 to 200, whereas my copy of decoplanner (buhlmann) only goes from 5 to 100.

They have many other little features and differences that I haven't really needed so far. You can download a 14 day free trial version of GAP from ANDI's website. I will say that it took a few more minutes to learn than vplanner or decoplanner, but that's insignificant in the big picture.

DIR deco generally does not come directly from any dive planning software.

It's my understanding that the WKPP guys use RGBM as the starting point for dives under 200 mins bottom time and VPM for dives over 200 mins (so essentially for the rest of us it's RGBM :)

However, what the deco s/w spits out is (even for basic deco diving) only a starting point to generate a safer deco profile (adding in deep stops, O2 window etc.)

The value in understanding DIR deco only comes from taking the class, and practicing soem of the required skills (good ascents, good buoyancy, good gas planning, good team skills etc). The software is just something to generate some initial numbers from.

Also, within certain very useful ranges of diving, deco s/w need not even be used -- there are sets of pretty simple rules that allow you to generate a flexible deco plan that can be changed on the fly as you need to.

I have not used the dirrect output from any deco s/w for my deco planning, and we always plan it in our heads on the boat just before the dive. It's flexible enough to plan for

+/- 5-10 mins
+/- 10 feet
lost deco gas

without needing a Phd in math.

limeyx:
DIR deco generally does not come directly from any dive planning software.

It's my understanding that the WKPP guys use RGBM as the starting point for dives under 200 mins bottom time and VPM for dives over 200 mins (so essentially for the rest of us it's RGBM :)

However, what the deco s/w spits out is (even for basic deco diving) only a starting point to generate a safer deco profile (adding in deep stops, O2 window etc.)

The value in understanding DIR deco only comes from taking the class, and practicing soem of the required skills (good ascents, good buoyancy, good gas planning, good team skills etc). The software is just something to generate some initial numbers from.

Also, within certain very useful ranges of diving, deco s/w need not even be used -- there are sets of pretty simple rules that allow you to generate a flexible deco plan that can be changed on the fly as you need to.

I have not used the dirrect output from any deco s/w for my deco planning, and we always plan it in our heads on the boat just before the dive. It's flexible enough to plan for

+/- 5-10 mins
+/- 10 feet
lost deco gas

without needing a Phd in math.
From a WKPP memebers post on TDS

"Deco is planned with Decoplanner

<200 minutes = a modified Buhlmann schedule with settings at 10/100

>200 minutes = a modified VPM schedule"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom