DIR- GUE GUE Cave Sidemount course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the problems that come along with independent doubles...
At least you can see what is going on with your valves and 1sts.

I have actually dove with cave divers who had no idea how a manifold worked. Which seems to be an increasing gap in people's overall dive education, to everyone's deficit.

At least you can see what is going on with your valves and 1sts.

I have actually dove with cave divers who had no idea how a manifold worked. Which seems to be an increasing gap in people's overall dive education, to everyone's deficit.
But you don’t really need to see it to tell what’s going on.

Diving with gear you don’t understand isn’t DIR.

Diving with gear you don’t understand isn’t DIR.
I happened to be in BM doubles. My buddy was in SM for that one. #stroketeam
Up until that dive it never dawned on me that someone could go from OW all the way to full cave and never bother with or understand BM doubles.

I happened to be in BM doubles. My buddy was in SM for that one. #stroketeam
Up until that dive it never dawned on me that someone could go from OW all the way to full cave and never bother with or understand BM doubles.
Yup.

Part of the DIR framework is understanding of each other’s equipment and training.

Yup.

Part of the DIR framework is understanding of each other’s equipment and training.
This was ~6 yrs ago but was a lesson learned. At least this program is a post cave2 thing.

I stopped by EE today for a minute and Kirill was there. He said there is no single required sidemount platform, with an implication that you need to match the platform to the type of system.

I stopped by EE today for a minute and Kirill was there. He said there is no single required sidemount platform, with an implication that you need to match the platform to the type of system.
RIP DIR.

I swear it’s like inmates are running the asylum these days.

Ok, let me clarify at least a few points :).

- It is increasingly hard to stay "global" and "explorers" if you are limited to caves where you fit in back mount. In some cases you can not even get to the water while carrying back mount through the dry cave.

- We are not promoting mixed team diving - as it defeats the point of using side mount (getting ti the passage you get not get to while using back mount"

- As to my response to Kevin's question - i meant that no one is forced to use Halcyon Contour or Zero Gravity rigs - as there are a number of good SM rigs offered by other manufacturers. (You do not have to use Halcyon backplate and wing to take GUE Back mount classes either).

Best regards
Kirill A. Egorov
GUE Assistant Training Director
GUE Cave & Tech Instructor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom