GRRRR... move right for sirens and lights!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maui seems to be pretty good about it still - folks get quickly out of the way and all 4 lanes will pull over to let an EV through, then usually politely let everyone back in. The one that still gives me trouble is the School Bus stop signs - it was never really publicized (at least to my knowledge) that you were to pull over for them until about 3 years ago - (never even discussed it in drivers ed when I took it . . . 17 years ago) since then I've only come across 2 or 3 ... one was today and I totally missed it... just gotta start watching for them... it took 4 more cars behind me till folks started stopping... guess we all have to learn this one over here.

Aloha, Tim

Melbourne, 2 days ago - ambulance screaming down the street, pedestrian crossing lights change to green - about 200 pedestrians walked out in front of the ambulance when it was less that 30m from the crossing. Flipping idiots. The ambo had to wait while 200 people crossed.

There should be no-one in the left lane either way, should be for passing only......pisses me off if I have to go all the way to the right lane to pass the idiot in the so-called fast lane. I can understand that you sit there during peak traffic hours, but the rest of the time get out of it.........

simbrooks:
Its not always the right hand lane, i was driving in NYC the other week and they put them down the middle lane, so that everyone on the right moves further right and those on the left go further left - parting of the waves.

They do that in Germany, and to a lesser degree in other European countries.

Actually, if you're on the "open" Autobahn, you'd just pull over to the right lane and let the emergency vehicle pass normally in the left lane.

The "parting of the waves" happens when there's a traffic jam where both lanes are so slow that merging right is tough, or traffic is just stopped... like, well, when there's an accident up ahead. There's usually enough room on the shoulders on both sides to allow traffic to split apart, allowing the emergency vehicle to drive up the center. A lot of times, when traffic's stopped on the Autobahn, people will just automatically pull over to the two sides to avoid panic later on.

And turn their engines off. And wait. And wait. And go visit people in other cars. And have a picnic. And hope they don't have to go to the bathroom soon.

There's also a rule regarding when there's three or more lanes of traffic... but I can't remember whether it's two lanes right and one lane left, or the other way around...

Here in Poland, it's not quite as... well... disciplined; though people do get out of the way. But I've seen a lot of people "drafting" emergency vehicles here, too. Sheesh.

--Marek

I find that alot of the time the ones that won't get out of our way is the one thats too busy talking on the cell phone that they don't notice us. Sad isn't it? If they can't notice lights and siren, will they notice when the 3 year old steps off the curve in front of them? Sheesh

Mark

Years ago I saw a special on TV where they chronicled some of those idiots.

2nd place idiot: Would not move aside for paramedics with lights and siren. All the way to his house, he refused to move or let the ambulance pass. It turns out it was the guys mother that the paramedics were trying to get to. No, he was not hurrying to get to his mother, he was just a jerk that wouldn't let the EV pass.

Winner idiot: Wouldn't move aside for an EV with lights and siren. Finally at a red traffic light, he got out of his car, walked back and yelled at the EV driver for making so much noise and then punched the driver. Wish I could remember what his prizae was.

I would advocate EV's filming drivers and having the PD issue warrants or tickets like the Photo Radar installations. Let's get these derilicts into court and have them explain "it wasn't me" or "I didn't hear the siren" or why they refused to pull over. Just one guys thoughts.

Wristshot

I can see how it would be stupid to not hear the siren in a city, but around here you're doing 55 or 60 on all the roads (because that's the speed limit) and if they're trying to join traffic up ahead, you just can't hear some of the sirens.

I think you'd be surprised at how short the effective range is of a siren. On my truck (fire) we use the motor driven siren and the electronic siren as well as the air horn...and still some folks just keep on putting along in front. Cameras if used effectively would be an efficient tool to curb bad drivers. Road design and to some extent all the distractions built into modern cars just don't help. People seem to change personalities once they get behind the wheel and I am always amazed at what I see looking down into vehicles from the truck. Sometimes I want to laugh...sometimes I want to grab someone by the neck and tell them to get their kids belted in. Better training for drivers of emergency vehicles would also help. I work in a 300 plus member department in a city of over 300,000 people and our driver training could be way better than what it is. Putting pressure on legislators to make this an issue of public safety and toughen the penalties would also be a big step in the right direction.

The stories about not being able to hear sirens at highway speeds is true. When I attended the police academy, during emergency vehicle operation training the instructors did an exercise where I and 3 other recruits sat in a patrol car being driven by an instructor at 65 MPH. Another patrol car came up behind us doing 100+ MPH with its siren on. Without looking behind, we were instructed to raise our hands the moment we heard a siren. The second patrol car was practically NEXT to us by the time any of us heard its siren.

A big part of the problem is simply the way modern cars are built. Even the cheapest cars are being fitted with more and more sound insulation and powerful sound systems. The technology that keeps your new Lexus as quiet as a church, and its sound system as powerful as a concert hall's, is also the same technology that keeps you from hearing those sirens. Perhaps in the future, car manufacturers can include circuitry in stereo systems that detects nearby sirens, which would then override what you're playing and even broadcast the siren (at a reasonable level of course) over the stereo speakers. Stereos already exist that override your musical selections to broadcast traffic reports (they're especially popular in Europe), and with the advent of Dolby surround sound for your home theater there's no reason they can't simulate the direction the siren's coming from.

Until then however, there is a cheap and effective workaround for this: CHECK YOUR MIRRORS FREQUENTLY!! I find my most frustrating Code 3 (lights and siren) experience to be when people I come up to from behind don't yield; traffic that is approaching me, or coming from a side street, doesn't seem to be as bad. On top of the siren, public safety agencies (whether it be law enforcement, fire, or EMS) will also have their light bars activated. Many will also install auxiliary lighting such as wig-wags (headlights that flash alternately from side to side) and strobe-lighting.

I found another effective way to hear sirens is to not have your windows up all of the way if possible. I don't expect anybody to drive in a rainstorm or a blizzard with all the windows down, but if the weather's good there's no reason to not have the windows open a crack. During my academy days, we had to drive around with all the windows down regardless of the weather (and unfortunately I attended the academy during the winter...an El Nino winter no less :11: ). This was so that we could hear sounds around us, like windows being broken or people screaming for help. Once I graduated the academy, my training officer taught me the lessons of "the academy vs. reality" and showed me by keeping the front windows up, but the rear windows rolled down an inch or two, I could still hear outside sounds.

My personal car has a sunroof that tilts up, and I find that by doing that I can still hear the sirens pretty well even with all the windows rolled up tight. The increase in road noise is minimal (even less than a window cracked open) and I find it comfortable even in cool weather. The only time I close it is for rain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom